How can we improve our languages?

Removal of accent on greek capital letters. / Diacritics

When you type an SMS in greek you have to use capital letters only, so that people on other devices can read your messages.
In greek language we do not use accent when we write a word in capital letters.
Example: http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9470/examplerr.png

This is not only a language error.Writing a word in capitals and simultaneously using an accent makes the word unreadable by some devices.
This makes all swiftKey suggestions useless when you write an SMS.

I suggest the removal of the accent on Words written using capital letters.

68 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    salapissalapis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    DareckiDarecki shared a merged idea: Remove Diacritics  ·   · 

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I prefer when the Greek I write are not capitalised on my SMS. I should have the option. capitalised messages are rude...

• MihalisMihalis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not agree with this suggestion. First of all, the vast majority of phones can receive SMS with lowercase and accented uppercase. Second, putting accenting upercase letters is a personal style issue, and sometimes it is nescessary to use accents to avoid misunderstandings.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The accent on words will all capital letters, is the most annoying, also because of the SMS encoding.
        More than a year has passed since the the first post here, and from the reply of SwiftKey Dev Team, but nothing is fixed. How hard can that be? I cannot imagine...

• john psailjohn psail commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i agree that the accent in capital letters must be removed with the exeption of the case that tritonio described. another idea is that the keyboard must be permanent in capital letters when you choose the greek language in the sms app like the stock one does. and of course not accented, the only reason that i do not use swiftkey is that either accented capital either lower letters leads to double charge due to reduction of the sms characters. Please fix it.

• FanisFanis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I may add to this, it's not just an issue of language correctness.

If an SMS includes even 1 lowercase Greek or accented uppercase Greek letter, it needs to be sent under 16-bit UCS-2 encoding, limiting the SMS to 70 characters. The 7-bit GSM-ASCII encoding that allows 160 characters per SMS only includes the uppercase unaccented Greek characters.

If the SMS app is not configured to automatically switch encoding if required, and Greek lowercase or accented uppercase characters are typed and not sent as UCS-2, the SMS will be corrupted and unreadable.

The simplest solution for this would be for Swiftkey's greek dictionary to remove all accents from all-caps uppercased vowels. Otherwise, to do this on demand when typing, it's a simple replacement of the accented vowels with their normal form:

Ά => Α
        Έ => Ε
        Ή => Η
        Ί => Ι
        Ό => Ο
        Ύ => Υ
        Ώ => Ω

• TritonioTritonio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

But when the first letter in a word is capital and accented the accent should appear. For example Άγγελος.

Language model feedback: Greek - Suggestions

Feedback and Knowledge Base