How can we improve our languages?

Romanian: the "-" (hyphen) symbol is a part of the many used words

The "-" symbol is a part of the many used words in Romanian. Some of them are very-very used.

For example:
1. într-o, într-un, dintr-o, dintr-un etc (place preposition + known/unknown article)
2. sun-o, întrebându-l etc (verb + personal pronoun)
3. s-o, să-l etc (verb particle + personal pronoun)
4. s-a, m-a, l-a etc (personal pronoun + verb particle)

There are a lot of this kind words associations in Romanian. Somehow, „-” has the same function like „'”(apostrophe) in Italian.

When entering a hyphen after a word, chances are we are writing a composed word, such as „într-o casă” (english: into a house). Unfortunately, after selecting a suggested word, SwiftKey enters a space automatically, leading to mind-boggling spellings such as "într - o casă".
Typing would be much faster and less troublesome if we had not to manually delete the 2 inserted spaces. Romanian never use spaces between a hyphen!

Also SwiftKey X should remember this kind of words. It's a must for any Romanian user.

135 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AlinAlin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Romanian dictionary hyphen  ·   · 
    IionIion shared a merged idea: Romanian language  ·   · 

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news about this? Its still broken for Romanian users.
        The last comment from the dev team was almost one year ago, but no update since.

• wilsonwilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is important for Portuguese too.
        It would be good if we could type the whole word and the hyphen be added automatically.
        (swipe beta is able to do this.

• Stanislav GruzdovStanislav Gruzdov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's a lot of them in Russian language, for example: "как-нибудь", "какие-то", "кое-что" and so on. Now it's not so comfortable to use them.

• Johannes ZimmermannJohannes Zimmermann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The same is true for German. We have a lot of words with hyphen (like S-Bahn, make-up, stand-by...). The auto space before and after a hyphen makes typing unnecessarily slow!

• Olimpiu-Cristian MihaiOlimpiu-Cristian Mihai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also commented on this issue and given the same example like you, let's hope someone will see... If you want to understand what are we talking about look at the English words like "don't" "won't" it's not the same case grammar wise but it should help you understand the use of "-" character.

To any person speaking Romanian, and I think a ot of languages this is a must!

• RitaRita commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Words like „într-o/într-un” (into a), „văzut-o” (see her), s-o ajut (to help her) etc. need to be saved or suggested by SwyftKey like it does with English words with apostrophe (didn't, don't etc).

Instead of apostrophe, Romanian language use hyphen to make words shorter:
        Did not = Dind't for English
        Să o ajut = S-o ajut („to help her”) for Romanian.

Please fix it. It will improve the speed drastically.

• IonuțIonuț commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like that I cannot input hyphen immediately after a word without loosing auto-correction because if I don't press the suggested word (this automatically insert a space after the word) or the space button (that insert the suggested word with a space after it) the suggestion is lost.

Please add an option for remembering words with hyphen. There are a lot of common used words in romanian that need to be inserted in a text.

It's a must. Swipe is easier than SwiftKey for us, Romanians but your prediction is the best. Please check this request. It's a must!

3. Language model feedback: Romanian - Suggestions

Feedback and Knowledge Base