How can we improve our languages?

Make it easier to write compound words

Some languages, for example Swedish, have a lot of compound words.

Perhaps this could be done by long-pressing space before entering the next word to tell SwiftKey I want the next word to be joined with previous.

1 Enter first part and press space or select prediction
2 Long press space
3 Enter second part and press space or selection prediction
4 SwiftKey removes space between part one and two

Not sure how well this would work in practice though and it would be a very hidden feature. A nice side effect would be that this could also be used to make it easier to enter e-mail addresses.

582 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    johan.appelgrenjohan.appelgren shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: SwiftKey stumbles on compound words, suffixes and case endings (common in finno-ugric, germanic, turkic and many other language families)  ·   · 
    Kjell RilbeKjell Rilbe shared a merged idea: Stop "writing apart" in Swedish  ·   · 
    NiklasNiklas shared a merged idea: Remove space between last two written words.  ·   · 

38 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • FaramantFaramant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here a many good ideas, for me joining words after typing would be sufficient. I type e.g. 3 words with spaces, then auto-join key. If the compound word is already known, SwiftKey could do it automatically. Some options would help to fit the need of the most users. You could even could collect statistics about option usage and suggest the most used one. But please do something! Designs are for the less talented companies...

• lollol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Under review since 2012. Who needs compound words? SwiftKey needs more designs!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, nothing? It is very irritating to write finnish, swedish, german or dutch on swiftkey. English works fantastic, but due to lack of compound word support, SwiftKey sucks in languages where compound words are common.

I'm also very interested in a solution to this.

My suggestion would be to add a gesture or command that removes the space between previous two words. E.g. Write "food" and then write "mart" and then double press space (or some other command/gesture) will remove the space in between the words and produce the word "foodmart". And also of course then store the word foodmart in my personal dictionary.

• Mustafa Veysi NuralMustafa Veysi Nural commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would also be extremely helpful for Turkish too. Not because of the compound words but because of the exhaustive number of combinations of the same word due to suffixes.

• ThomasThomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm also very interested in a solution for this small but annoying detail!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rather 20 than 7 months since the response from SK. Seems like they forgot to update this issue.

• Martin HellspongMartin Hellspong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My suggestion for this is to simply include a key/swipe gesture that joins the last two words! In the simplest case this would just remove the space between them, but could in theory use some more fancy algorithm.

If I were to write a three-part compound word, I'd type them as three separate words, and then press the join-key (or do the "join" gesture) twice. Or I could type the first two, join them and then the third and join that.

• LarsLars commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just disabling "smart space" (as they did for Swedish a while back, I think) is obviously not enough. We should still be able to get predictions for every part of the compound word, meaning that when I want to type "induktionsladdare" (induction charger), I should be able to get predictions for both "induktions" and "laddare" since they are both in the dictionary. The disabling of smart space allows me to type the whole word manually and not have SwiftKey auto-split it, but with no predictions at all, which is very inconvenient.
        For now, I do compound words by typing the individual words using prediction, and afterwards I go back and remove the spaces, to not look like a fool.

• LarsLars commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the only reason I still once in a while try to switch to Swype (but I always come back to SwiftKey in the end). They have a solution for this, by either long pressing space between words, or swiping from space to backspace between writing words. It might not be the best solution, but it is so much faster than manually having to remove all spaces after finishing typing.

Also voted for this. SwiftKey is un-useable for normal texts.

I entered e. g. "Donau" because I wanna write "Donaudampfschifffahrt". After "Donau " there will be a space. Now I remove that space and want to write the next part "dampf" - but instead of being able to write that part, the keyboard re-uses the already finished term "Donau" for finding next term. Why? This word is finished! The only reason to have a look on this is to see that there shall be a small letter.

Developer info:

Here are more tools:
        Helsinki Finite-State Transducer Technology (HFST)
        GNU LGPL

The Helsinki Finite-State Transducer software is intended for the implementation of morphological analysers and other tools which are based on weighted and unweighted finite-state transducer technology. This work is licensed under a GNU Lesser General Public License v3.0.

The feasibility of the HFST toolkit is demonstrated by a full-fledged open source implementation of a Finnish lexicon as well as a number of other languages of varying morphological complexity (OMor).

http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/kieliteknologia/tutkimus/hfst/

Finnish is not the only language, where this occurs. Uralic (Finno-Ugric) languages have approx. 25 million speakers: Hungarian (13 million) Finnish (5 million), other Baltic-Finnic languages: Estonian, Ingrian, Karelian and Veps (2 million), & Mari & Udmurt (1million). Additionallu altayic languages, bask, eskimo, japan, korean, mongolian, turkish, tibeto-burman languages all are agglutinative using suffixes and compounding.

There are so many millions of speakers of these languages, that this kind of morphological syntax should be developed for SwiftKey. One just has to develop the functionality, a lot of tools and word lists are there already.

For instance, an Open-Source grammar and spell checker & hyphenator Voikko was developed for Open Office. It is based on the morphological analysis by Malaga.

Info for developers:
        http://voikko.puimula.org/
        http://voikko.puimula.org/links.html

Interactive Suomi-Malaga Demo, a demonstration of morphological analysis with Sukija variant of Suomi-malaga. The results are largely the same when Voikko variant is used. http://kitt.ifi.uzh.ch/kitt/cgi-bin/clsmm/suomimalaga-query.pl

- Morphological Spell Checker for Meadow Mari (mhr), beta (2012-10-26)
        - Morphological Spell Checker for Komi-Zyrian (kpv), beta (2012-10-24)
        - Эрзянь келень сёрмадома лувонь витнема-петнема, бета (2012-10-23)
        https://tuhat.halvi.helsinki.fi/portal/fi/searchall.html?searchall=voikko

• Bernhard StreitBernhard Streit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue is VERY annoying when you write in German, as some compounds (like "tomatoe ketchup" -> "Tomatenketchup") are already included in the dictionary and some aren't (like "garage gate" -> "Garagentor").

Because when you type a compound that is not included in the dictionary, swiftkey completely deletes the word you just tried to enter, and then you have to swype the first part of the compound, release, press delete, and then type letter by letter the 2nd part of the compound.

How about this: Add a way to signal to the app that you want to append a different word without breaking the flow (e.g. swiping in the word "Tomaten", then from the "n" swype to the prediction bar, then back to "k" and swype the word "ketchup" to get "Tomatenketchup".

But that only works if you make sure all words that are appened the letter "n" in case they are used in a compound, are in the dictionary with "n" at the end...or you try to identify all letters that are used for joining words and always allow them as a last letter...

No workaround AFAIK and this issue takes too long. But I don't miss SwiftKey since I paid 99 cents for Swype.

← Previous 1

Language model feedback: Swedish - Suggestions

Feedback and Knowledge Base