How can we improve our languages?

Automatically capitalize the letter "I" when it's all alone.

When you're just typing the letter I as in speaking in the first person, having the I automatically capitalize. I use the enter a space after hitting spacebar and because of that the letter I is always lowercase when by itself.

364 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Michael WarningMichael Warning shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Berit Marie AlvestrandBerit Marie Alvestrand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Norwegian and English every other email I send, and auto capitalization of the I drives me crazy! Can't I just have the option of turning it off?

• Iain CrazeIain Craze commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, i want the letter i to automatically capitalise when standing alone in UK English, please (which it hasn't done when typing this!).

• HanHan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't this simply be a separate checkbox in the settings, along with being tied to specific languages? This seems like the only frustrating thing about using Swiftkey.

• JesusJesus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This simple issue has yet to be addressed for the English (US) pack in the newest version of SK.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Had this been corrected yet? I have the latest version and this still happens constantly to me. I can think of no reason a stand alone i would need to ever be lowercase.

• Krabbe GurgelKrabbe Gurgel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No. You should capitalize it yourself. This destroys Scandinavian language, where the preposition i (=in) is the most common word.

• SveinungSveinung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just want to add myself to the list of people that finds auto capitalizing "I" in non-english languages a little tiring. I usually type norwegian, but like to have the english dictionary available at the same time.

• CurtCurt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is it possible some people have it not capitalize when when they want it to, and for others it doesn't when they do?

• RogersRogers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please stop capitalizing the "i"-letter! In Norwegian, "i" means "inn". This lett should NOT be capitalized in Norwegian. Now I have to make this letter lowercase every time I write it in Norwegian, which is often.. Could you please learn from me correcting it every time, or make the capitilazation optional?

• RaeRae commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE make this optional; in my informal typing (text messages, facebook posts, etc.) I use a lowercase "I," as in "i love you," "i'll go," "i'd like to," etc. Even though I have AutoCaps disabled, it always predicts the capital and never lowercase, meaning for "i'll" I have to press i key, long press apostrophe, press l key, press l key, and even STILL press the "prediction" of what I actually typed, as capitalized is what it still wants to do.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use SwiftKey in Norwegian and English. The letter I is automatically capitalized, so I gave the opposite problem when typing Norwegian.

• Yasser SaeedYasser Saeed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree.. The letter i should always be automatically capitalized in English mode.... It's frustrating now, so please fix it. Thanks.

• Mikko RantalainenMikko Rantalainen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like this idea as long as SwiftKey X keeps enough statistics about *currently* typed input to not mess with my text if the current input language is not English. SwiftKey X already supports inputting mixed languages and feature such as this should not cripple that feature.

• AdamAdam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This makes total sense if you're using only English. If not, auto capitalization of every occurance of "I" may cause problems. I use SwiftKey specifically because it allows me to use three languages at once - English, Polish and Czech. In Polish the letter "i" means "and", and should be lowercase when used in the middle of the sentence, so I end up decapitalizing it manually every time... Wouldn't it be possible for SwiftKey to learn that I'm doing it and start suggesting lowercase "i" with higher priority?

• Rusty83Rusty83 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If so it should be made an optional thing, as we have a word in Danish "i" meaning "in" spelled in lower case.

Language model feedback: English (US) - Suggestions

Feedback and Knowledge Base