How can we improve our languages?

German umlaut and "Show foreign characters" setting

I use the German language on SwiftKey X and so I write a lot of umlauts like ä, ö, ü. But also I often write with other foreign characters, so that the "show foreign characters" setting is activated. My problem is, that if I want to write the letter ä (for example), I have to long press the letter a and than swipe my finger to the right for quite a long distance, because there are five characters in between the a and the ä.
As a German user it would be much more convenient if the ä would be on the second place and not the fifth (same with ö and ü of course).
Now here is my suggestion: If I select a certain language (like German, Danish, Swedish, Finnish etc.) as enabled the most commonly used foreign characters of that language are moved a bit to the front (of the list that appears after a long press).

105 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Marco WMarco W shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Greg G.Greg G. shared a merged idea: Umlauts are most inconveniently ordered.  ·   · 
    fatangyfatangy shared a merged idea: Prediction of special characters  ·   · 

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sheridan VespoSheridan Vespo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"In due course" ... Well, it is now 1 Year, 8 Months and 26 days later. Has this happened?

No it has not! Come on, developers, we want a product that is worth its money, and that is only true, if you listen to us.

• marcmarc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really need ä ö ü on seperate keys, its impossible to write with the current layout.
        Pls update next time!

•  Arne Arne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think, it would be much better, if you just take the German layout with the umlauts showed instantly instead of giving it another "ranking". thx

• Volker SchefferVolker Scheffer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news on that???

Ä,Ö,Ü - Umlaute are really important for typing quickly in German, and I guess for other languages it is the same with their letters.

So please push this issue a bit more!

• KayKay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. On a QWERTZ layout, umlaut (and other special characters like 'ß') should really, really be positioned with a bit more … sense (?).

• Daniel Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An also maybe the option to turn off/remove the not needed characters for faster and better handling.

Language model feedback: German - Suggestions

Feedback and Knowledge Base