How can we improve our languages?

French: Put space between the end of a sentence and punctuation

Appending an exclamation mark or a question mark (only those two) right after a word is grammatically incorrect in French.

e.g.: "I love SwiftKey X!" should be "I love SwiftKey X !"

Nearly all the keyboards on Android except the stock one does this mistake (even the physical
keyboard on my previous Motorola phone when auto-punctuation was enabled). It would be great if SwiftKey X did that !

Thanks,
Gabriel F.

631 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Gabriel FéronGabriel Féron shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    mm shared a merged idea: In french, the autospace before "!" and and "?" is broken  ·   · 
    HUBAUHUBAU shared a merged idea: In french we leave a space before ? and !  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Espace avant ! ou ?  ·   · 
    Jalil ArfaouiJalil Arfaoui shared a merged idea: Spaces removed before punctuation (French)  ·   · 
    LeeleeLeelee shared a merged idea: french punctuation rules  ·   · 
    Benjamin GILLET Benjamin GILLET shared a merged idea: review french punctuation rules  ·   · 
    Ben Ben shared a merged idea: In french, there is a space before "?", "!", ":" and ";"  ·   · 
    Quentin GrimaudQuentin Grimaud shared a merged idea: Punctuation should depend on the language  ·   · 
    CorentinCorentin shared a merged idea: French language needs fixes  ·   · 
    François malmedFrançois malmed shared a merged idea: Auto space before "? " in french language  ·   · 
    Matthieu10Matthieu10 shared a merged idea: Why does typing the spacebar before a ? or a ! or a : does not work ?  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: "! " "? "  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Ponctuation problem in french  ·   · 
    gilgil shared a merged idea: punctuation  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: In French there is a space before "? " and "! "  ·   · 
    Renaud S. Renaud S. shared a merged idea: French grammar rule.  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: In French. there is a space between a word and "! "  ·   · 
    Maurice Maurice shared a merged idea: corriger les espaces pour "?" et "! " en français  ·   · 
    MaxMax shared a merged idea: French punctuation subtlety  ·   · 
    _r1__r1_ shared a merged idea: Problemes in French spaces before ponctuation.  ·   · 
    LektLekt shared a merged idea: Can't make a space before "!" or "?"  ·   · 
    NatapuceNatapuce shared a merged idea: In french, there is a space between the word and the double punctuation.  ·   · 
    Erwan VezinErwan Vezin shared a merged idea: Space management options  ·   · 
    johann.grimmjohann.grimm shared a merged idea: French punctuation is wrong  ·   · 

93 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • FredFred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For those who want to remove the feature in french, it can be done easily by modifying the file

Internal storage -> data -> com.touchtype.swiftkey -> files -> fr_FR-live -> punctuation-SDK1.2.json

replace it all by

{
        "version" : 2,
        "lang" : "fr_FR",
        "dependency" : "default"
        }

Then a reboot is necessary. The modification usually disappears after an update.

Not sure if the other files need to be modified (punctuation.json and folder fr_FR)

Just do a backup of the files before!

HTH

Fred

• Eric Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anonymous, then buy a Bescherelle book,which is THE reference for French topics like grammar, vocabulary or conjugate.

• mm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Haha, merci Anonymous, mais je crois qu'on a pas besoin de toi pour nous apprendre à écrire notre propre langue. Et pas d'inquiétude pour tes messages en Français, ils sont très bien comme ça, laisse faire Swiftkey.
        Si vraiment tu veux aller au bout du truc, avant un point d'interrogation ou d'exclamation on met une espace fine insécable.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like this feature. It makes all my texts and emails on French look weird.
        I've never heard of this rule in French typing (and I went to school in France from preschool to the end of my master's degree)
        Look at books and scholar papers, there is no space before exclamation or question marks.

Same question here... It's been adding the spaces before : and ; for a while! But still no way to solve the ambiguous situations when one has English and French installed... Or just to turn off this feature (again, this rule doesn't apply in Switzerland, contrary to what has been written here)
        More and more disappointed with the way SwiftKey people handle requests :-(

This idea is completed, does it mean it's been implemented, or that it did not get enough votes to be planned in a future release?
        Please clarify!
        Thanks.

• ufstampaufstampa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is so bothersome. Question marks and Exclamations, it adds a space. Especially when I want to write a quote or a tweet, when I'm use to writing in English format.

Perhaps this feature should be a choice on the main Swift X settings. This punctuation style happens in French and possibly a few other languages. When I would like it in English format and vice versa for other people.

Note: When I write a quote (French keyboard). There is no space when I enter ".-"
        Ex: Had no need of a guide to learn ignorance.-Voltaire
        There needs a space for ". -"

I got this answer in my mailbox, doesn't seem to have been published here and can't answer to the mail, so I'll take the liberty of putting the conversation here:

Trak commented on No space between the end of a sentence and punctation in French

If we go through the route of suppressing whitespaces, we should do it fully : in the middle ages there were no spaces between words they were all glued together. So let's suppress ALL these useless spaces !

More seriously, there is a rule, we stick with it. We could set up an option for French variants which don't use those spaces, but for those which do use them they have to be here. As for orphaned character, that's what non-breakable spaces are for.

Technology should be adapted to humans, not humans to it.

So I answered:

I get your point.

But then, please indeed find a way for french speaking minorities like Swiss people, who don't have this rule, to be able to disable it.

Or, if you want to maintain the French French hegemony, please at least make your software work when English language is also installed.

I am fed up with getting this mix of space and no space, this looks really ugly for a paying software.

Thanks in advance.

I do agree with andreid.

Although these rules are followed in books, most of my french friends never use these extra spaces in mails or text messages.

On top of that, and again, the implementation is totally buggy when having french and english installed. Because some words are the same in english or friends, eg nicknames, or we use english words in french. So you'll get, in a message in french:

Hello! Ca va ? Moi ça va ! Embrasse bien Tipiou!

Which is very bad. A deal breaker, actually. Looking into other keyboards already, which is really too bad because otherwise swiftkey is great.

• DidierDidier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree with Eric. The current implementation might not be the best but it is already better than the old one. NBSP's would be ideal of course if possible.

I am sorry I don't agree.
        Don't change the rules to match the tools, but tools should follow languages rules and their changes.

Insecable spaces are made for this purpose to avoid orpheans characters.
        English people need to understand that their language is not the best, and that some differences need to be respected in other languages.
        That's it.

As long as luangage did not change, I don't see the point in not updating the tools to respect that. I don't want to see those spaces removed, on paper and on screen!

• andreidandreid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SPACES MULTIPLY ORPHAN CHARACTERS ON COMPUTER SCREENS. AVOID IMPLEMENTATION AT ALL COST. THIS SILLY TYPOGRAPHIC RULE BELONGS TO THE GÜTENBURG ERA! I REMIND ALL CONCERNED PARTIES THAT WE ARE IN 2012. A SCREEN IS NOT PRINTED PAPER.

• andreidandreid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Spaces in front of some capricious typo rules should be banned on computer screens.

• MystMyst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, I'm also from Switzerland and I would really like to remove spaces before punctuation... Could this be an option ? It would be really great, and I would buy this keyboard without any doubt :) Thanks a lot !

Thank you for your answer Éric, so there is a bug for me, I don't have autospace before "!" and "?" (Motorola Defy plus - Android 2.3.4)

PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE Swiftkey find a quick way to make this buggy feature optional!

Or create a Swiss French language that doesn't have it!

Having english and french installed is a real nightmare!

Meanwhile, is there a way to revert to version 2? It would solve the bugs temporarily...

Hi m.
        The problem is fixed for those characters "," "." "!" and "?"
        However, for ":" and ";" this is still a problem.

@Eric
        The problem is fixed for you ? (because it's not for me...)

I'm swiss, and I had never heard of this rule indeed! So for me it is a bit annoying to have these extra spaces!
        On top of that, with french and english installed, there are some bugs in the current implementation, it does not always apply the rule, depending on the context.
        I would suggest to add an option ïn the settings giving the choice to have the space or not! So purists would be happy, and swiss people as well ;)
        Thanks in advance to consider my request!

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Language model feedback: French (FR) - Suggestions

Feedback and Knowledge Base