Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Maciek Maciek shared a merged idea: Excessive RAM Usage  ·   · 
    Libni Garcia Libni Garcia shared a merged idea: RAM leak / memory leak  ·   · 
    completed  ·  Evan TapperAdminEvan Tapper (Admin, SwiftKey) responded  · 

The latest release of SwiftKey (4.0.0.106) has been refined to optimize RAM usage as effectively as possible while still providing the best experience when using the keyboard. If you have 3 languages enabled, our research has shown that SwiftKey can use up to 55 MB of RAM.

If you find that SwiftKey is using substantially more RAM than that, please create a new post and provide whatever details you find are relevant so we can investigate further.

94 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Levi WolstromLevi Wolstrom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wanted to give this a go again in the (admittedly unlikely) chance this had been addressed. So when I check memory usage, I find it is using nearly 100MB RAM with two dictionaries installed on both the Nexus 10 and the Nexus 5. Whatever you are doing for RAM optimization clearly isn't working.

• Mario G.H.Mario G.H. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

70+ MB of RAM and just reading the admin comment I enabled another dictionary... Boom!
        129 MB vs 10 MB of Touchpal X (which uses 2 background processes instead of one).

No propaganda!, just an observation.

I really wanted to like SwiftKey as themes are clean and prediction not bad at all. But even Touchpal + wave and extra dictionaries does not eat as much memory. There has to be some problem...

Feel free to contact me for testing/whatever useful purposes.

[LG G2 stock Android - rooted, here | SwiftKey version 5.0.1.77]

• ZeroZero commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The keyboard supports older versions of Android but uses too much memory for use on these!

• Xerxes XlrXerxes Xlr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With just 1 language, it takes up 35 - 45 MB RAM and 60+ MB internal memory! This is way beyond awful. And it lags and affects phone performance. I too would like to go back to an older version or switch to some other keyboard. Additional features and Flow and the like are no use if performance and resource usage is this high. This is not what I paid for.

• JackJack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is just awful while using phone with only 300 ram in total. Swiftkey takes 36 MB of precious RAM.

• SimonSimon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

how can I get your old version of swiftkey? The ram usage is hanging every time i want to message now. IT WAS WAY BETTER BEFORE.

• scottscott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

galaxy s4 from verizon. Ram usage was up to 116mb before I had to restart the phone. I use the voice to text alot and have flow on. Latest paid version of the app. After reboot ram usage back down to 16mb. HUGE problem

• TsulaaTsulaa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

97MB/one language, here...& most likely could've been higher if the chart didn't max out at that same number. What in the Heck is going on??? Know what? Don't answer that. I probably wouldn't understand anyway. Switched to default.

• Juan RJuan R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The same Here!!! I went back to the Deafult S3 Keyboard!!! A lot of resources taken!

• Martin Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SwiftKey is very imprecise when using more than one language at a time. Since the flow beta, people have been asking for a language shortcut. Why hasn't it been implemented?

• Martin Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SwiftKey is very imprecise when using more than one language at a time. Since the flow beta, people have been asking for a language shortcut. Why hasn't it been implemented?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just tried, and I had more than 30MB with just 1 language.... too much, I went back to the standard keyboard of S3.

• joshjosh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Horrible RAM leak (or whatever it is) , its using up 50MB with 2 languages and not loaded , as in im just on desktop with all apps killed/exited. Its silly. Sadly i have to go back to Swype.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice if they could reduce the ram usage for swiftkey. My current settings are...
        Version 4.0.1.128
        1 language (English usa)
        Flow enabled
        Phone: LG Optimus L9 (4.1 Jelly Bean)
        Ram usage: 44mb

I really do think this should use less ram, swiftkeys size is a decent size of 15mb installed. I also agree with some that the "learn from facebook, gmail etc." is useless and i'd never use it and imo it should be removed.

• UeehhgertUeehhgert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2 languages -> above 30MB all the time. Will deinstall this RAM blocker. Not everybody has high end phones with big RAM capacity.

• Former SK UserFormer SK User commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand if one is using SwiftKey (e.g. typing a message) that there is excessive RAM usage but if one is closing (hiding) SwiftKey why is it still eating so much memory? Also would be really appreciated if you guys would cut the APK down. The skins could be available as a separate download, heatmap same, etc. Then Twitter, Gmail, Facebook which is never working anyway you could make an extra too. No?

• Former SK UserFormer SK User commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SE Xperia mini pro between 25 and 50 MB RAM (so it's more than 50 percent of my RAM using)

SwiftKey team wrote two years ago that they don't plan to cut the .apk down. Ridiculous. Takes 10 minutes. Remove the ugly themes (if people want a theme, they will download a skin), remove stupid functions e.g. "heatmap", "learn from FB, Twitter, RSS feed (it DOES NOT work anyway, never worked and will never work) and it will stay at 3-8 MB RAM ... as the original SwiftKey.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base