Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JonathanJonathan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Richard BurvillRichard Burvill shared a merged idea: Unexpected capitalized words midsentence  ·   · 
    J. Giezen J. Giezen shared a merged idea: Dutch word "we" suggested with uppercase mid-sentence, even after deleting from suggestions.  ·   · 
    Miguel Miguel shared a merged idea: Writing ok but autocorrects to OK  ·   · 
    bEbE shared a merged idea: Unexpected capitalized words midsentence  ·   · 
    Daniel MascioDaniel Mascio shared a merged idea: Unexpected capitalized words midsentence  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Do not predict not working  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Unexpected capitalized words midsentence  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Unexpected capitalized words midsentence  ·   · 
    Niels Niels shared a merged idea: Capital letter bug; Dutch language  ·   · 
    JamieJamie shared a merged idea: Auto Correcting incorrectly  ·   · 
    Victoria MacMillanVictoria MacMillan shared a merged idea: Unexpected capitalized words midsentence  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Unexpected caps midsentence  ·   · 
    Jory SmithJory Smith shared a merged idea: Unexpected capitalized words midsentence  ·   · 
    Pierre OssmanPierre Ossman shared a merged idea: Unexpected Capitzalized Words midsentence  ·   · 
    LucaLuca shared a merged idea: Unexpected capitalized words  ·   · 
    Jérémy D'AuriaJérémy D'Auria shared a merged idea: Unexpected Capitalized words midsentence  ·   · 
    Annie GirardAnnie Girard shared a merged idea: Bad, counter-intuitive predictions  ·   · 
    Jacques LaRoseJacques LaRose shared a merged idea: Unexpected Capitalized Words  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Capitalizing  ·   · 
    WeiWei shared a merged idea: unexpected capitalized words midsentence  ·   · 
    Janine Janine shared a merged idea: Unexpected capitalized words midsentence  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: unexpected capitalized words midsentence  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Unexpected capitalization midsentence  ·   · 
    Sk_uterSk_uter shared a merged idea: Unexpected capitalized words midsentence  ·   · 
    tomo huynhtomo huynh shared a merged idea: Unexpected capitalized words midsentence  ·   · 
    JacobJacob shared a merged idea: Unexpected capitalized words midsentence  ·   · 
    jmsinternetjmsinternet shared a merged idea: Unexpected capitalized words midsentence  ·   · 
    Nicholas Furgiuele Nicholas Furgiuele shared a merged idea: Unwanted capitalisation of words  ·   · 
    Evan TapperAdminEvan Tapper (Admin, SwiftKey) responded  · 

A fix has been implemented recently, but it’s not retroactive and it will a bit of time before the correct lower case words are learnt instead of the capitalised ones.

95 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Christopher Lee SmithChristopher Lee Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still happening to words I generally use at the start of sentences, it just capitalises them everywhere. Moved to Xperia keyboard until fixed.

• Eric WoodruffEric Woodruff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Word prediction is great until you have to work against it frustratingly entering tedious letter by letter because it otherwise only provides a capitalized prediction. Compared to the rest of the experience it is like being thrown into the dark ages, almost torture because it stunts communication.

• igiturigitur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suspect there are different causes to this problem and that the capitalisation issue manifests in slightly different ways. In my case, I have 2 languages installed and it's when I jump between the languages mid-sentence that the "new language" becomes capitalised.

e.g. when I type:
        "Oh Ja".

The "Oh" is from the English dictionary and the "Ja" is from the Afrikaans dictionary. The "Ja" should obviously not be predicted as capitalised, but currently it is.

• Jay LillibridgeJay Lillibridge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just started experiencing the issue that people are complaining about here. I love your keyboard but this is getting ridiculous.

• NobodyNobody commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue is still happening to me constantly as of March 31, 2014. It's been going on for months and it's insane! Seriously guys...get with the program and fix this bug. It's apparent that it is NOT fixed.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just practiced staying within the keyboard area and problem solved. It only caps if you go above.

• LouAllen WheelerLouAllen Wheeler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still happening to me here. SwiftKey 4.4.4.264, Android 4.4 KitKat on a Nexus 4. It seems to happen in phases. It Just started happening The other day, and It's Quite frustrating. Makes me look like an iPhone user who Is annoying enough to use auto caps, But inconsistently.
        I've heard that turning off trending phrases helps, but If you're Trying to use this as a Selling feature, That shouldn't be a fix.

All auto caps in This message have been left intact.

Please fix this.

• Scott O'DowdScott O'Dowd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am still having this problem. And it is not just words that it has learned from me, it has been capitalizing standard words in the middle of the sentence for no reason. Getting ready to uninstall as this has been going on for months now.

• Sam PSam P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems ridiculous that this has gone on for so long. I have been using the keyboard since my first Android phone which must have been five years ago, and I recommend it all the time. I won't now.

Surely an option to always capitalise as the user has chosen would be easy enough. So if I don't tell the keyboard I want a capital then don't suggest one. If I don't use the option, then do as you do now, I don't care. As I'll use the option.

The only exception would be when tapping "i" but if it is not allowed to have an exception, I'm fine with tapping Caps then "i" for that. I'll get used to it.

• EmreEmre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really, REALLY needs to gets fixed. I used SwiftKey for a long time with no issues. Several months ago this bug appeared and it refuses to go away! It's been MONTHS since the so-called fix!

• MohamedMohamed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am still having this issue, and it's bee 4 months since the fix. I love using Swiftkey, my life revolves around it. However it drives me crazy how many times I need to go back and correct words that I typed manually because the prediction had a capital letter.

This is especially annoying with listing friends' names when some are capitalized and others are not, and also with the word "internet". Every time I type it, it's capitalized to "Internet" and the next prediction is "Explorer". Then I have to go all the way back, delete the capital I, replace it with an i, and make sure that it doesn't autocorrect back to capital. It is a huge waste of time for a keyboard that is supposed to save time.

I suggest having the shift key govern which letters are going to be capital or lower case, other than after punctuation or the letter "I" alone. Please implement something like this, it will make the keyboard so much better!

• Nicholas BellNicholas Bell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For the love of GOD, fix this damn bug swiftkey.... If anything I thought this app was perfect a year ago, and since then somehow the prediction algorithms have deteriorated. Considering moving to a different keyboard, because nothing ever improves

• NeilNeil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a new issue for me. It developed about a month ago (long after the proposed fix). Is there any update on a proper fix?

• PatPat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the same problem. Swiftkey capitalizes a mid-sentence English word when I am using two languages (Tagalog).

• Nate KaemingkNate Kaemingk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This just started happening to my device... If the fix was implemented in Dec 2013 then whatever that fix was should have been active before my device started going bonkers today. This seems like it's at least the third time this bug has occurred on your production code. I suggest adding it to your test suite.

• Gabriel SiqueiraGabriel Siqueira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SwiftKey has been behaving weirdly lately. It's capitalizing random words in the middle of sentences, and it stopped predicting and recognizing words as well as it did one month ago, apparently by no reason...

• Rens JaspersRens Jaspers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Started happening to me a few weeks ago. Very annoying.

The only way I've been able to fix it is by typing the sentence in which the unexpected capitalized word occurs about 5 times and selecting the lower case word each time. But there are so many different capitalized words that it's really no use trying to fix all of them this way.

• Miguel Miguel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The kernal version is 3.4.0-1921628 
        Android version 4.3 
        Build number: Jss15j.1337Ucuemk2

• PeterPeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem here, completely up to date as far as I can see on Android 4.4 with Swiftkey 4.4.3.262
        When I remove a word from the dictionary, and add it without capital letter, it shows up next time with a capitalized first letter. I just tested this, and it's still a problem.. I don't get why SwiftKey is trying to remember capitalization at all to be honest. I'd prefer if it'd leave that to how I've set my shift key when starting the word..

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base