What is your SwiftKey bug?

Swiftkey insist on making prediction even for EditTexts with android:inputType="textNoSuggestions"

I am developing an android application and I noticed that since the latest swiftkey update, there is prediction even on EditTexts with the setting android:inputType="textNoSuggestions".

8 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please give the US the option to turn off predictions. It's driving me insane. Eight errors just typing a couple of sentences.

I have had to stop using swiftkey because of this. When inputting new contact's names, swiftkey always corrects them to dictionary words. I often hand my phone to a new contact and they can't even type their name. Hugely inconvenient, and really sad cause I'd like to use swiftkey predictions everywhere except for nosuggestions fields.

• JulianJulian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sahra you are basically asserting that because a handfull of people with no idea about security want to have prediction everywhere, you are willing to compromise on security. There is a reason why programmers might use the inputType textNoSuggestion, and you are overriding this. This is a big problem for password managers or in web forms for instance, where you enter credit cards or other sensitive information.

If anything, please let the user choose this via some app configuration. Otherwise you are compromising security here.

• Sebastiano PoggiSebastiano Poggi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I consider this a bug. It's driven me mad before realizing it was Swiftkey deliberately ignoring the textNoSuggestions attribute!
        You should've told those users to stop nagging, or just provided this as an opt-in "feature".

Hi Sarah and thanks for commenting on this issue. As Thomas points out, the problem is that Android guidelines clearly indicates that IME should not show any dictionary-based word suggestions on such fields.

We all know about the "textVisiblePassword" workaround but it is wrong to have to qualify a field of password just to avoid predictions, it could lead to major problems if later on android implements some kind of semantic parser because the semantic of the layouts would be really wrong.

Maybe this could be a feature that users could enable explicitly if they want to?

Thanks for your time!

• Thomas KellerThomas Keller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Sarah! Thanks for commenting, but the problem is really that SwiftKey does _not_ follow the Android guidelines here. Stating from http://developer.android.com/reference/android/widget/TextView.html:

"textNoSuggestions 0x00080001 Can be combined with text and its variations to indicate that the IME should not show any dictionary-based word suggestions. Corresponds to TYPE_TEXT_FLAG_NO_SUGGESTIONS."

If the developer opted in to disable suggestions, he probably did so for a very good reason. What you try to do here is to "fix" broken apps that disable suggestions on their input fields for whatever (broken) reason.

Can you not make this "feature" an optional thing that users can enable explicitely?

• Daniel OchoaDaniel Ochoa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am experiencing the same thing and it was driving me crazy until I realized this is a SwiftKey bug.

Feedback and Knowledge Base