How can we improve SwiftKey?

Option to disable auto-space after punctuation and/or prediction

Add an option to disable automatic space after completing a word in flow. Instead add space after I have either chosen a suggestion is state typing a new word This way I could choose the proper suggestion much faster or need be correct my previous typing.

11,527 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Clemens Hirsch Clemens Hirsch shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    ClaudiuClaudiu shared a merged idea: disable space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Cory.SvenssonCory.Svensson shared a merged idea: Disable space after a period  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Disable space after Punctuation  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Disable space after Punctuation  ·   · 
    Reuben Mendoza Reuben Mendoza shared a merged idea: Disable space after punctuation (option)  ·   · 
    Fabio PinnaFabio Pinna shared a merged idea: No space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Sam LeeSam Lee shared a merged idea: Turn off space after punctuation  ·   · 
    PendulumDerpPendulumDerp shared a merged idea: Toggle space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Toggle space after punctuation  ·   · 
    MikeMike shared a merged idea: Toggle space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Disable Space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Remove space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Option to disable auto-space after punctuation and/or prediction  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Disable space after punctuation  ·   · 
    DanDan shared a merged idea: Can you allow disablement of Auto-0correct / Prediction Auto-replace?  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Give me the option to turn auto-spacing COMPLETELY OFF.  ·   · 
    Cristian IonescuCristian Ionescu shared a merged idea: DISABLE THE F... ING AUTOSPACING !!!!  ·   · 
    Ian EngelbrechtIan Engelbrecht shared a merged idea: Option to disable space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Give me an option to turn off adding a space after every period.  ·   · 
    Aleks GAleks G shared a merged idea: Disable space after punctuation  ·   · 
    AndrisAndris shared a merged idea: No space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Martin H. Martin H. shared a merged idea: turn off spacing after punctuation  ·   · 
    AndyAndy shared a merged idea: Remove space after punctuation  ·   · 
    JimJim shared a merged idea: Turn off space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Sf be fSf be f shared a merged idea: Toggle space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Jack DyerJack Dyer shared a merged idea: Option to disable automatic space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Vincenz DregerVincenz Dreger shared a merged idea: Option to disable automatic spaces after punctuation  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: toggle space after punctuation  ·   · 
    AdreannaAdreanna shared a merged idea: toggle space after punctuation  ·   · 
    JeffreyJeffrey shared a merged idea: Option to disable automatic space after period  ·   · 
    SilverSilver shared a merged idea: Toggle space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: auto space  ·   · 
    Kisuk KimKisuk Kim shared a merged idea: auto space  ·   · 
    smudgersmudger shared a merged idea: Turn off all autospace after punctuation (option)  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Disable auto spacing  ·   · 
    EpicNewtEpicNewt shared a merged idea: toggle space after punctuation/prediction  ·   · 
    Erik HamarsåErik Hamarså shared a merged idea: Option to disable auto-space after punctuation and/or prediction  ·   · 
    under review  ·  SarahAdminSarah (Support Representative, SwiftKey) responded  · 

Hi everyone,

This issue is something we’ve thought about on many occasions, as it would definitely simplify some of the typing use cases.

One of the primary problems is that people often build words by selecting the root or prefix and then adding a suffix. For instance, if I want the word “predicting” I might select “predict”, then add the “ing”. In this case, if you add space before a prediction, there’s no way of knowing if the user intended to start the next word or add to the selected word.

In the absence of a space after a prediction, a user whose cursor was next to the end of a word would not know if the predictions/corrections that they saw related to the word they are currently “in”, or to the next word.

There may be a way to solve this problem via probabilistic modelling, but it’s definitely non-trivial. We’ll be thinking about it.

1028 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Richard ShafferRichard Shaffer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree. I just installed this keyboard, and it is the sole reason I'm already considering removing it.

• Daniel NebdalDaniel Nebdal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can only agree with the others here - I end up typing a lot of urls and email addresses, and the unavoidable space after the periods (and the way it re-adds spaces as autocompletion) drives me up the wall. Which is a shame, as I otherwise really like SwiftKey.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most people have been brought up typing on computers or typewriters where a space or punctuation character is pressed after completion of a word. Subsequently they do this when using SwiftKey. It's particularly annoying to have to backspace to enter a punctuation character and is easily forgotten, which can make nonsense of your text. Please at least give the option. This should be quite easy to code.

• AsahelAsahel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least make it an option. I only ever use 'corrections/predictions' to correct a previous word typed - I never use them to predict the next word because I find it quicker to type the next word rather than see what prediction comes up. So I need to hit backspace every time I have to correct a word, which is all the time.

How about an option to disable the next word prediction, and instead insert automatic spaces at the start of a new word and not the end. The prediction algorithm could still be used to inform suggested corrections based on the word context.

• Sketti RootSketti Root commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the dumbest response ever. It doesnt relate to the problem presented whatsoever. Over 1000 people commented and no valid response, much less an update.

• BackFlipBackFlip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OMG!! Seriously?? Other keyboards don't have this problem!! This, otherwise awesome keyboard, is a real pain in the @$$ to use because of this annoying 'feature'! It shouldn't even be called a "feature," really!!

• Allen AAllen A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My biggest gripe about this keyboard. Please, please, please give users the option to disable the space after punctuation.

• Pehu52Pehu52 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Forget it. Get a better keyboard or look reasonable times at Xposed (Attention gerootetet device needs) to. Since there are quite a few adjustments to this keyboard. I have this keyboard since been removed from my Android.

• MattMatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to disable the auto-space after punctuation. Real hassle when typing in URLs and email addresses. This is a pretty basic user experience issue — please correct it.

• GgeorgeGgeorge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please take out the auto space after the punctuation. The completed words, fine, but punctuation, not fine. At least give us the option to choose. Please email me when fixed, but for now I will not be using your services any longer.

• Charley BCharley B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At best, how many words would occur like this, @Sarah? Certainly less than we are dealing with now, by a long shot. Even on "good old" WebOS (and many current android keyboards), you could just hit <Backspace> once to get rid of what suggestions you didn't want. As it is, you are making us hit <Backspace> 2 or more times. Trivial? Not really when you keep having to do it each time.

It's been a year now Sarah, any update? It get's really annoying and decreases functionality to have the auto space after punctuations. Leave it for choosing the words, but give us some kind of option for it to be disabled.

i prefer swiftkey over swype but the one thing keeping me from switching is auto spacing. it complicates things so much. stop working on new themes and voice2text. those are cute but the end of the day, we just want to type our message as fast and accurate as possible. auto spacing, a programmed in feature, makes life **** for those who don't need it

• JRJR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot believe there is no option for this. Typing my primary email address, which has two periods in it, takes forever because I have to delete the two spaces that automatically get added.

Spaces after predictions, that's fine. But spaces after punctuation is really, really, really annoying.

Love the keyboard otherwise, but this is a deal breaker.

• WilliamWilliam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that swype already offers this option, so the supported representatives do have a model to base the (hopefully) future additional feature on. Additionally, it kicks in automatically when inside the menu bar of a web page. The associated gesture is: simply go from the swype button to the spacebar to turn auto-space on and off. It's especially handy when typing Web addresses....

Forgive me for noticing, and i shall sincerely retract should there be any other logged activity since the above response from SwiftKey's supported representative...but has the possible addition of this this feature REALLY been "under review" since October of 2013? As a SwiftKey user, I'll say there is a noticeable absence of this, at times, quite soothing feature for those of us being accosted by the just-stepped-into-a-wet-spot-with-my-socks-on level annoyance of the insipid "must always, always, always auto space" feature. Please please please continue to review this one until it becomes an optional feature for SwiftKey users! PLEASE

• Kevin J. WanglerKevin J. Wangler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are 1009 comments on this thread. If all 1009 of us (okay, I'm sure some have commented more than once, but it's still a good number) went and left a 1-star review in the Play Store, that might get their attention.

Honestly, it probably won't make a difference, either, but it's all we can do. That, and stop using Swiftkey. I've done both -- left a 1-star review, and discontinued its use.

• AndyAndy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? I've moved to another keyboard until this is fixed...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 51 52

Feedback and Knowledge Base