How can we improve SwiftKey?

Option to disable auto-space after punctuation and/or prediction

Add an option to disable automatic space after completing a word in flow. Instead add space after I have either chosen a suggestion is state typing a new word This way I could choose the proper suggestion much faster or need be correct my previous typing.

10,910 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Clemens Hirsch Clemens Hirsch shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Disable space after Punctuation  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Disable space after Punctuation  ·   · 
    Reuben Mendoza Reuben Mendoza shared a merged idea: Disable space after punctuation (option)  ·   · 
    Fabio PinnaFabio Pinna shared a merged idea: No space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Sam LeeSam Lee shared a merged idea: Turn off space after punctuation  ·   · 
    PendulumDerpPendulumDerp shared a merged idea: Toggle space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Toggle space after punctuation  ·   · 
    MikeMike shared a merged idea: Toggle space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Disable Space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Remove space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Option to disable auto-space after punctuation and/or prediction  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Disable space after punctuation  ·   · 
    DanDan shared a merged idea: Can you allow disablement of Auto-0correct / Prediction Auto-replace?  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Give me the option to turn auto-spacing COMPLETELY OFF.  ·   · 
    Cristian IonescuCristian Ionescu shared a merged idea: DISABLE THE F... ING AUTOSPACING !!!!  ·   · 
    Ian EngelbrechtIan Engelbrecht shared a merged idea: Option to disable space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Give me an option to turn off adding a space after every period.  ·   · 
    Aleks GAleks G shared a merged idea: Disable space after punctuation  ·   · 
    AndrisAndris shared a merged idea: No space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Martin H. Martin H. shared a merged idea: turn off spacing after punctuation  ·   · 
    AndyAndy shared a merged idea: Remove space after punctuation  ·   · 
    JimJim shared a merged idea: Turn off space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Sf be fSf be f shared a merged idea: Toggle space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Jack DyerJack Dyer shared a merged idea: Option to disable automatic space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Vincenz DregerVincenz Dreger shared a merged idea: Option to disable automatic spaces after punctuation  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: toggle space after punctuation  ·   · 
    AdreannaAdreanna shared a merged idea: toggle space after punctuation  ·   · 
    JeffreyJeffrey shared a merged idea: Option to disable automatic space after period  ·   · 
    SilverSilver shared a merged idea: Toggle space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: auto space  ·   · 
    Kisuk KimKisuk Kim shared a merged idea: auto space  ·   · 
    smudgersmudger shared a merged idea: Turn off all autospace after punctuation (option)  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Disable auto spacing  ·   · 
    EpicNewtEpicNewt shared a merged idea: toggle space after punctuation/prediction  ·   · 
    Erik HamarsåErik Hamarså shared a merged idea: Option to disable auto-space after punctuation and/or prediction  ·   · 
    under review  ·  Sarah ReynoldsAdminSarah Reynolds (Support Representative, SwiftKey) responded  · 

Hi everyone,

This issue is something we’ve thought about on many occasions, as it would definitely simplify some of the typing use cases.

One of the primary problems is that people often build words by selecting the root or prefix and then adding a suffix. For instance, if I want the word “predicting” I might select “predict”, then add the “ing”. In this case, if you add space before a prediction, there’s no way of knowing if the user intended to start the next word or add to the selected word.

In the absence of a space after a prediction, a user whose cursor was next to the end of a word would not know if the predictions/corrections that they saw related to the word they are currently “in”, or to the next word.

There may be a way to solve this problem via probabilistic modelling, but it’s definitely non-trivial. We’ll be thinking about it.

971 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The same response was give2by Sarah Reynolds for a different suggestion. Bottom-line: make it an option. No excuse for this to always insert a space after a period. Countless examples could be given where a person wants/needs no space after a period (same goes for needing no space after selecting a prediction.) . com (oops, that should have been ".com)

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just want an OPTION to disable it. What is the big deal? And why do you keep ignoring us?

This is the only reason why I am not using Swiftkey. I used to love it but the auto spacing drove me nuts. I'm sure Swiftkey has no incentive to fix it since they already received my money. Shame really, it *was* the best keyboard.

• einomieseinomies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This force space after punctuation is driving me nuts. Nearly 11k votes. How about making it happend...

• Adrian BjugårdAdrian Bjugård commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello SwiftKey, are you listening? This is your keyboards biggest flaw and after almost a full year you can't even come out and tell us whether or not you are planning to fix it or not...

Could you please, please, please allow us to turn off this stupid, stupid, stupid autospace after a comma?!?!?!?!?

• JonahJonah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Space after auto fills is one thing that makes sense to debate. My problem is with the automatic space that's inserted after every punctuation mark. If you insist on keeping that feature, why not let people turn it off? It's extremely frustrating when one is used to spacing manually after each period or comma, not to mention typing in Web addresses that contain periods! I even had to go back and delete the double spaces in this message!

• Pehu52Pehu52 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That would interest me too. There are many situations where I don't need that. When you write a text message, one indeed each space. If you want to write a new paragraph, you have to first back each time to delete the space after the punctuation mark. This keeps on quite a bit.

• JennBeeJennBee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Finally upgraded my Win 7 device to Win 8 and noticed that they b0rked the keyboard. I immediately started searching for solutions. The space after punctuation and suggested words has to change. It's the most irritating thing, and it completely changes how I've typed on a smartphone since their inception. I prefer being able to auto-select prefixes and then typing the rest of the word without having to backspace. I prefer being able to type an email adress, like mine, that has a period in the middle without having to backspace.

It would also be nice if you made the keyboard spacebar a little bigger so that I (and many many others) can hit space without typing a comma, a period or the letters v/b.

• StuntmanStuntman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can have the option when using a physical keyboard on my HTC Desire Z. I don't see why it isn't available while using the touchscreen keyboard.

The reasons for the current design are much less compelling than the reasons for making the automatic insertion of spaces optional.

• EricEric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could you atleast add a web-address mode where the spaces are not put in automatically, and predictions are disabled?

• Calvin HCalvin H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not sold on the keyboard, but this is going to bother me quite a bit and will likely weigh against my choosing it. If you allow the option to disable it (possibly two separate toggles: one for punctuation and one for prediction), that would definitely be a big help. Though, I'm still not sure I like the time lag between switching from the QWERTY keyboard to the symbols/numpad and back.

• Benjamin baxterBenjamin baxter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm with the many users here.... just about every DOD and military email address is names separated by periods.... And that's only my experience I'm sure there are many other organizations that are similar with their email format.... It has gotten old very fast... That said I love the keyboard and that's my only issue. I understand your general issues with implementing this even as a simple on or off selection... so I'm just hoping much sooner than later it gets resolved.

• MacpaulMacpaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let me tell you something: you don't "build" words, you type them. Only because in our days of gadgets and tablets some features are "en vogue" doesn't mean they make sense, at least not in general.
        In this short comment I had to correct addes spaces a few times, for example after a line break. And this is just plain stupid, nothing else!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 48 49

Feedback and Knowledge Base