How can we improve SwiftKey?

Option to disable auto-space after punctuation and/or prediction

Add an option to disable automatic space after completing a word in flow. Instead add space after I have either chosen a suggestion is state typing a new word This way I could choose the proper suggestion much faster or need be correct my previous typing.

11,310 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Clemens Hirsch Clemens Hirsch shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Disable space after Punctuation  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Disable space after Punctuation  ·   · 
    Reuben Mendoza Reuben Mendoza shared a merged idea: Disable space after punctuation (option)  ·   · 
    Fabio PinnaFabio Pinna shared a merged idea: No space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Sam LeeSam Lee shared a merged idea: Turn off space after punctuation  ·   · 
    PendulumDerpPendulumDerp shared a merged idea: Toggle space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Toggle space after punctuation  ·   · 
    MikeMike shared a merged idea: Toggle space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Disable Space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Remove space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Option to disable auto-space after punctuation and/or prediction  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Disable space after punctuation  ·   · 
    DanDan shared a merged idea: Can you allow disablement of Auto-0correct / Prediction Auto-replace?  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Give me the option to turn auto-spacing COMPLETELY OFF.  ·   · 
    Cristian IonescuCristian Ionescu shared a merged idea: DISABLE THE F... ING AUTOSPACING !!!!  ·   · 
    Ian EngelbrechtIan Engelbrecht shared a merged idea: Option to disable space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Give me an option to turn off adding a space after every period.  ·   · 
    Aleks GAleks G shared a merged idea: Disable space after punctuation  ·   · 
    AndrisAndris shared a merged idea: No space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Martin H. Martin H. shared a merged idea: turn off spacing after punctuation  ·   · 
    AndyAndy shared a merged idea: Remove space after punctuation  ·   · 
    JimJim shared a merged idea: Turn off space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Sf be fSf be f shared a merged idea: Toggle space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Jack DyerJack Dyer shared a merged idea: Option to disable automatic space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Vincenz DregerVincenz Dreger shared a merged idea: Option to disable automatic spaces after punctuation  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: toggle space after punctuation  ·   · 
    AdreannaAdreanna shared a merged idea: toggle space after punctuation  ·   · 
    JeffreyJeffrey shared a merged idea: Option to disable automatic space after period  ·   · 
    SilverSilver shared a merged idea: Toggle space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: auto space  ·   · 
    Kisuk KimKisuk Kim shared a merged idea: auto space  ·   · 
    smudgersmudger shared a merged idea: Turn off all autospace after punctuation (option)  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Disable auto spacing  ·   · 
    EpicNewtEpicNewt shared a merged idea: toggle space after punctuation/prediction  ·   · 
    Erik HamarsåErik Hamarså shared a merged idea: Option to disable auto-space after punctuation and/or prediction  ·   · 
    under review  ·  Sarah ReynoldsAdminSarah Reynolds (Support Representative, SwiftKey) responded  · 

Hi everyone,

This issue is something we’ve thought about on many occasions, as it would definitely simplify some of the typing use cases.

One of the primary problems is that people often build words by selecting the root or prefix and then adding a suffix. For instance, if I want the word “predicting” I might select “predict”, then add the “ing”. In this case, if you add space before a prediction, there’s no way of knowing if the user intended to start the next word or add to the selected word.

In the absence of a space after a prediction, a user whose cursor was next to the end of a word would not know if the predictions/corrections that they saw related to the word they are currently “in”, or to the next word.

There may be a way to solve this problem via probabilistic modelling, but it’s definitely non-trivial. We’ll be thinking about it.

1004 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Pehu52Pehu52 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Charley B: Thanks for the tip. The keyboard seems to be quite good. Since Swiftkey should even go into teaching.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HOLY FUQUE!!! Swiftkey on IOS does not auto-space after punctuation. Now you're just messing with us.

Double tap on autosuggest predicted word might solve this to: means 'wait, word is UC', : -)

• KyleKyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After searching through so many keyboards I thought I had finally found the one that is closest to perfect to me. I guess it's back to the search. This hasn't been fixed in over a year! You have my email. Let me know when your customers opinions and requests become important to you. Maybe you forgot, but we paid for this app.

• KyleKyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just want the option to choose. For some it may be better to automatically put a space after a prediction or period and for some it may not be. I love this keyboard, but the auto space is driving me crazy! I just want to have the choice in the advanced section of the setting to set it to my liking.

• Give the power back to my finger!Give the power back to my finger! commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes then my big D become small d... this do not help anything.
        Whole point of all this thread is... the "war against FORCED SPACE™ :-)
        when i come back to my normal pc i have to press space.
        on phone i as on PC, i press "space" after "." and on phone i get two space.
        and then ".(space)dk" on all link and so on.
        All i want is...press space and a space come...do NOT press space and NO space come.
        Other phone keyboard allow you to CHOSE if you want FORCED SPACE™
        But as said, Samsung S5 stock keyboard is insane bad. i have to remember to press on top of every key or i press the key below. Another one cannot help in spelling any words.
        Swift FORCE me to have space where i don't want it...

@Give the power back to my finger!: Settings -> Advanced -> Auto capitalize (set off)

• Give the power back to my finger!Give the power back to my finger! commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about make it so i can type like on my PC...............
        i almost kill my samsons5 every time i have to write ".dk" not ". Dk"
        Do you have the technology to let people write what they want???
        you press a key...and WOW you get what you pressed!!
        Do you have the technology to make a keyboard that works like all computer keyboard since ZX-81???
        i write much on my phone.
        it is very annoying that i have to get "use to" that on my PC it is not the same as on my phone.
        But in your defense Samsung S5 stock keyboard are insane more bad...

• Joseph McFarlandJoseph McFarland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can it really be that difficult to add a check box option in settings to let the user choose to allow or disable the space function??? Come on......

Listen.to.us. Give.us.an.option.to.disable.the.stupid.auto.space.after.punctations. You.coded.an.amazing.algorithm.for.predictive.text.but.yet.you.can't.code.a.simple.option.to.diable.the.auto.spacing???????.......?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..............

Did.you.fire.the.one.genius.programmer.responsible.for.Swiftkey??????...............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's why I wrote. Give Swiftkey a poor rating (maximum one star). Perhaps they will then awake.

• Siddharth ChaudharySiddharth Chaudhary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this too much to ask from a keyboard app? To personalise how we type, or will they just make us do what they "thought" was right for us...

Why not just put an option where we just can check or uncheck this auto space after every punctuation or just remove this feature. Why do this? So annoying, where not that lazy to press the space button you know.

• Bart JanssensBart Janssens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add a very simple switch to disable the bloody space after a period
        A switch, a choice, don't decide for us. I don't see what the problem is, are you being threatened by the 'space after punctuation maffia'?

• SamothSamoth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, and what about the auto space with exclamation/interrogation point? There should be a setting to disable it...

• WalhallaWalhalla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can someone please explain me why this issue hasn't been resolved since a year!? Even an option to toggle the behaviour would be enough. This issue is driving me nuts.

Now Swiftkey has only one star. Pity. Does it just the same. Perhaps the then awake.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 50 51

Feedback and Knowledge Base