How can we improve SwiftKey?

Switch to Samsung handwriting keyboard on Note 2 with S Pen.

Have the ability to switch to the Samsung handwriting recognition software when s pen is out on Samsung Galaxy Note 2

3,372 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Harrison JonesHarrison Jones shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Sean C DawkinsSean C Dawkins shared a merged idea: Switch to SPen input when it is removed.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Automatically switch to Spen when it is removed  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Automatically switch to S-pen when it is removed  ·   · 
    JoseJose shared a merged idea: Switch to Samsung input when SPEN is removed  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Switch to SPEN input  ·   · 
    Sevan Boyaciyan Sevan Boyaciyan shared a merged idea: Please can you bring one update for solving the problem that I cannot use the S-Pen on my Galaxy note 2 anymore since I have SwiftKey, thx  ·   · 
    Karel GuzmanKarel Guzman shared a merged idea: Switch to Samsung Input when SPen is removed  ·   · 
    CheesteerCheesteer shared a merged idea: Change to Samsung input when SPEN is removed  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Change to Samsung Input is removed  ·   · 
    Dustin LeibachDustin Leibach shared a merged idea: Support for samsung s pen so I can use hadwriting  ·   · 
    DavidDavid shared a merged idea: Switch to Samsung SPEN input automatically  ·   · 
    Sevan Boyaciyan Sevan Boyaciyan shared a merged idea: automatically switch to Samsung input when SPEN is removed  ·   · 
    Tom schoepsTom schoeps shared a merged idea: Switch to Samsung input when SPEN is removed  ·   · 
    ROBROB shared a merged idea: Change to Samsung input when Spen is removed  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Switch to Samsung Input when Spen is removed  ·   · 
    David HeydenDavid Heyden shared a merged idea: Switch to S-Pen input when stylus is removed.  ·   · 
    Ömer ŞanliÖmer Şanli shared a merged idea: Switch to Samsung input when S-Pen is removed  ·   · 
    Mario JonesMario Jones shared a merged idea: Change to Samsung Input when S-Pen is removed  ·   · 
    Nelson DominguesNelson Domingues shared a merged idea: Switch to Samsung input when S-Pen is removed.  ·   · 
    francisco gonzalezfrancisco gonzalez shared a merged idea: Switch to Samsung Input when SPEN is removed  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Switch to S-Pen input when S-Pen is removed  ·   · 
    RolandRoland shared a merged idea: Change to S-Pen input when S-Pen is removed  ·   · 
    Ameer JamalAmeer Jamal shared a merged idea: Switch to S-pen input when S-pen is removed  ·   · 
    Mehmet AkcaMehmet Akca shared a merged idea: Automatically switch to Spen input when it is removed.  ·   · 
    Nick BosworthNick Bosworth shared a merged idea: Change to Samsung Input when S-Pen is removed  ·   · 
    P RamirezP Ramirez shared a merged idea: Switch to Samsung Input when S-Pen is removed  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Switch to Samsung input when S-Pen is removed  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Switch to Samsung input when S-Pen is removed  ·   · 
    Bence SebeszthaBence Sebesztha shared a merged idea: Switch to Samsung input when SPen is removed  ·   · 
    laurent sartorilaurent sartori shared a merged idea: Switch to Samsung SPen input when it is removed from the device.  ·   · 
    JanetJanet shared a merged idea: Switch to Samsung handwriting keyboard on Note 2 with S Pen.  ·   · 
    Chuk GChuk G shared a merged idea: Automatically switch to S-Pen input  ·   · 
    dhruv sainidhruv saini shared a merged idea: Handwriting input  ·   · 
    Ibrahim shadid Ibrahim shadid shared a merged idea: Support Galaxy note 2  ·   · 
    Andres YurritaAndres Yurrita shared a merged idea: Automatically switch to SPen input  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: S pen functionality for the Note 2.  ·   · 
    daviddavid shared a merged idea: Écrire avec le stylet pour le Note 2  ·   · 
    Emre akcaEmre akca shared a merged idea: switch to Samsung keyboard when S-pen is removed  ·   · 
    Salah HadwanSalah Hadwan shared a merged idea: S pen support  ·   · 
    Eduardo Eduardo shared a merged idea: Add a handwriting keyboard for Galaxy Note and Galaxy Note 2 users  ·   · 
    Eduardo Eduardo shared a merged idea: Add a handwriting keyboard for Galaxy Note and Galaxy Note 2 users  ·   · 
    Hakan Onur DericiHakan Onur Derici shared a merged idea: Automatically switch to Samsung input when SPEN is removed  ·   · 
    Hakan Onur DericiHakan Onur Derici shared a merged idea: Add handwriting when the stylus/S-Pen is pulled out  ·   · 
    Myk Myk shared a merged idea: Recognize when Spen is removed  ·   · 
    Anthony PreaudotAnthony Preaudot shared a merged idea: Change to S-Pen (Note) kb when S-Pen removed  ·   · 
    Shrestha RajanShrestha Rajan shared a merged idea: update for note 2  ·   · 
    Eleanor HoganEleanor Hogan shared a merged idea: S pen compatability  ·   · 
    Derrick Derrick shared a merged idea: compatible with galaxy note 2 stylist  ·   · 
    Fabrice FrigerioFabrice Frigerio shared a merged idea: s pen recognition.  ·   · 
    r taylorr taylor shared a merged idea: handwriting support / Note S-pen  ·   · 
    Chris EmersonChris Emerson shared a merged idea: Handwriting recognition for the Samsung Notes  ·   · 
    Gerhard Thiart Gerhard Thiart shared a merged idea: S-Pen button for samsung galaxy note  ·   · 
    HubertHubert shared a merged idea: Add stylus / S-Pen support for samsung galaxy note  ·   · 
    declined  ·  SwiftKey Dev TeamAdminSwiftKey Dev Team (Admin, SwiftKey) responded  · 

Thank you for raising this issue. We understand that it can be frustrating. However, unfortunately, the hand-writing view that you need to input text with the S-Pen belongs to the default Samsung keyboard. So it is a bit like switching to a different layout in their keyboard app, in a similar way that SwiftKey has a numbers or smilies layout. The reason Samsung are able to auto-detect the S-Pen’s removal from the device and switch to the hand-writing view is that they do it all from within their own keyboard app.

If you recall, when you install another keyboard, you have to manually enable it and set it as the default. This is a built-in security feature in Android. Without it, people could trick you into installing malicious software that might mimic the stock keyboard but also logs all you keystrokes. Google say in the Android Developers Guide documentation::

“There are a lot of security issues associated with input methods, since they essentially have freedom to completely drive the UI and monitor everything the user enters. The Android input method framework also allows arbitrary third party IMEs, so care must be taken to restrict their selection and interactions. … A client application can ask that the system let the user pick a new IME, but can not programmatically switch to one itself.” [http://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/inputmethod/InputMethodManager.html#Security].

So, because of this, we cannot automatically switch you into the Samsung keyboard app’s handwriting view. You have to manually switch back and forth to be sure that you want to switch keyboards.

I hope this answers your questions — even though it may not be the answer you were hoping for — and thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

SwiftKey Dev

228 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

handwriting mode works with note 3 but not note 2. you would think if it's possible with one its possible with the other. if it's possible with note 2, please post specific directions on how to turn it on.

• TJTJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this also the reason why many times the pen window in my note 3 won't let me type with swift key? I have to manually switch to Samsung keyboard type a letter and then switch back to swift key.

• Keep GoingKeep Going commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi SwiftKey Team. This is a big issue for a lot of people.

Can you PLEASE let us know if there is, (or if you are trying to find), a way to smoothly integrate the use of the S PEN on Samsung Galaxy Note devices with SwiftKey!

The lack of this capability has me defaulting to the Samsung keyboard, despite having purchased & wanting to use your product!

• FigmenthFigmenth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

GUYS! All you gotta do is hover the S PEN over the text box and a pencil icon appears, i saw this by using the tutorial for s pen in the settings for input controls. Click that button and bam, can use swiftkey and s pen hand recognition! SOLVED!

S pen does work on Swift key, look at S pen options. Direct pen input. Turn it on...

• Dave S. Dave S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, need to integrate spen so I can handwrite while SwiftKey is in use... Call up the Samsung spen input dialogue from within SwiftKey.

• Sien Schmidt Sien Schmidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I switch to the Samsung keyboard for long times because of the pen input not being available in SwiftKey.
        The only negative I have

• Norm PerronNorm Perron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem--love SwiftKey, been using it for quite a while. Because of issues with S-Pen, I have uninstalled it on my Note 10.1 2014 edition. I hope either samsung or Swiftkey can resolve this issue soon.

• ggfb20ggfb20 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys this feature request issue has been resolved with the galaxy note 3, thank Samsung for it.

SwiftKey Dev, your reply on the support of the S pen is good. However, what we users would like is the ability to switch keyboards on-the-fly, without having to go settings, which is somewhat painful, especially if one has to do it frequently. Switching from you keyboard to the default key board, which supports the S Pen and handwriting recognition, can be done very easily by changing slightly the functionality of the button at the left of the space bar, for example, by pressing and holding on it.

• Patrik HodappPatrik Hodapp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a SwiftKey Layout that has the added numbers line, that would be class to use with a Note 3

• David HeydenDavid Heyden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have you heard of the note 2, galaxy s4 and note 3. The Samsung keyboard is now made by swiftkey and does include stylus support.

• Harvey Harvey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

thanks for the very thorough reply. I wasn't expecting even half as much detail as you provided. Harvey

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to use SwiftKey permanently again, but lack of S-Pen support really is the fly in the ointment.
        Back to Samsung keyboard.

• JohnnyJohnny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now on my Note 8.0 I use S Pen Board switcher with MyScript's Stylus (beta). it is a pretty good combination; other than having to switch back an worth. However, if Swiftkey want to take over another niche market... Add Handwriting recognition in to Swiftkey Tablet!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Feedback and Knowledge Base