How can we improve SwiftKey?

Add an option to remove the text box that comes up in landscape mode, So we can see what we are typing into

Currently if you put the keyboard into landscape, you get a large white text box above the keyboard. This means you can't see the fields you are typing into, select new fields, or see any formatting without switching back to portrait mode.
Go Keyboard lets you do it, it's a common feature for iOS devices, I already have key height at small, makes no difference to the text box.

8,519 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ehsanehsan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Byron Burris Byron Burris shared a merged idea: Surpress fullscreen in Landscape  ·   · 
    AldoAldo shared a merged idea: Suppress full screen landscape view  ·   · 
    Tim WooTim Woo shared a merged idea: Landscape mode textbox size option.  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: disable full-screen in Landscape  ·   · 
    Richard PearsonRichard Pearson shared a merged idea: Problem in landscape mode (full screen)  ·   · 
    SimonSimon shared a merged idea: disable full screen in landscape  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Seeing the text in landscape mode  ·   · 
    ChrisChris shared a merged idea: Full screen in landscape  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: option to disable full screen in landscape mode  ·   · 
    Alexandru Manole Alexandru Manole shared a merged idea: no text box in landscape  ·   · 
    JxjxkslakJxjxkslak shared a merged idea: Please implement disable landscape fullscreen and hide alternate keys  ·   · 
    Nils van der BurgNils van der Burg shared a merged idea: non fullscreen landscape keyboard  ·   · 
    under review  ·  SarahAdminSarah (Support Representative, SwiftKey) responded  · 

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your feedback on this issue. Right now the “full screen” text box appears when you switch to landscape on a phone. “Phone” here means that SwiftKey detects that your device identifies itself as being of “normal” size.

The problem here is that “normal” size ranges from HTC Wildfire up to Galaxy Note. On larger-screened phones, there is plenty of room to see the text box and the surrounding app. On smaller-screened phones, if the full screen text box does not appear, the environment of the app can take up so much space that it is very difficult to see the box that you want to actually type into.

“Not being able to see the rest of the app” is annoying for users with large phones, but “not being able to see what they are typing” would be even more annoying for users with small phones., which is why we have chosen to retain the fullscreen box for now.

We are always looking for ways to make typing on your phone easier, faster, and more pleasant, and we will consider this issue as we continue to make improvements.

118 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree this response is something of an inattentive cold shoulder.
        However after playing around with the settings, it seems there is something of a serviceable work around built in...
        If you undock the keyboard in landscape mode, you sort of get the functionality we are looking for... I have to use compact in landscape to see what I'm typing on my s3 but maybe it will work better for your devices. And at least swiftkey remembers orientation specific settings, so it won't mess with your portrait setup!

Hope this helped :)

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on, it' been 2 years now... Best keyboard ever and still a bug like this... Add an option, come on! I'm bored to switch keyboard when in Landscape because you guys are too lazy to ADD AN OPTION.

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't we just pretend my 1920x1080 phone is a tablet? Just for landscape mode even.

• Rafał T. StanRafał T. Stan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

well ... after several months (and updates) still no option to change that ... it's a bit dissappointing for the suggestion with the 4th most votes.
        oh, and why is it possibile to mark the idea and every comment as inappropriate ("Flag idea as inappropriate..." & "Flag as inappropriate"), but not the reply? i would definitely use it here, cuz the reply isn't answering the question at all (you know the idea was to add an OPTION to change that!).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am super disappointed in the response. :(

This is obviously a huge problem. I'm on a note 3, and am over it.

Chris

• Sam FerberSam Ferber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@swiftkey. The suggestion clearly states that this should be an OPTION. Not that it has to be on every device. Get your stuff together, your responce is crap

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many people want this feature ... many years... !!! Count how many posts about this are below. And you DO NOTHING with this! If you do not hear your customers, that is not good strategy. Think about that. ;)

• FelucioFelucio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another option would be to make a key which you can use to minimize and maximize keyboard. This could allow to choose the field and get the keyboard back. Right now the only option is to use the back key of the phone.

• HenningHenning commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That is badly needed. Swiftkey is doing so many things right, please do this as well. Just make an option for fullscreen. Make that default on, so no one can complain, if that´s what you worry about.

• EmanuelEmanuel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Add an OPTION. It would be optional! You can turn the option ON and OFF. "

+2

• jeff greenertjeff greenert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand your statement about phone design but other keyboard apps, such as ai type, handle this issue. Within ai type, tap on the composition field in gmail and it widens to fill the screen above the keyboard in landscape mode.

• AlAl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

However giving us the option would appese both large and small screen phone users, and would make typing on our phones easier, faster, and more pleasent

• Disappointed FanDisappointed Fan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for finally answering and yet not answering the question!!! Please just give us the option to choose it instead of acting smart and detecting if its a phone or not, because like you said acting smart and detecting if its a phone or not does not help given the large variety of screen sizes on phones...

• ëRiCëRiC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for answering this! As I see it the request is about an option! So apart from your decision what people should see (which is varying of course and you should be very well able to detect what size the screen of the user is) people should be able to decide what and how much they like to see.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base