How can we improve SwiftKey?

Forward Delete Key

I like to delete characters to the right of my cursor.

334 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    RicoRico shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    MotyMoty shared a merged idea: Forward Delete key  ·   · 
    PKPK shared a merged idea: Delete key  ·   · 
    TosinTosin shared a merged idea: Forward Delete (DEL)  ·   · 
    MimeMime shared a merged idea: Forward Delete Key  ·   · 
    Torstein Brevik Torstein Brevik shared a merged idea: Forward "Delete" key  ·   · 
    Azman Abdul HamidAzman Abdul Hamid shared a merged idea: Forward delete key  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: forward delete functionality  ·   · 

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Useless WithoutDeleteKeyUseless WithoutDeleteKey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Insane that you make deleting words so difficult and cumbersome. Like the comment said below, SwiftKey App without the ability to delete words makes it a Mickey Mouse keyboard app. It can not be summed up more clearly than that comment. It's a joke that you don't build this into your App. You invest so much time dressing it up with features and making it look pretty, yet you forget the basics of zipping your trousers up before stepping out in public.

Some things in life are common sense and just assumed in life. Just like I assumed the sun will rise tomorrow, I assumed you would have a delete key just like every other keyboard I've worked on for my entire life. But nope, not with Swiftkey.

If I were a potential customer of your app and knew that it can't delete stuff without jumping through hoops to make it happen, I wouldn't give you the privilege of paying me to use your app. Unfortunately, I already spent my money with you and can't rewind that decision.
        Next to the shift key and the period key, there's no more important key than a delete button.

You've stepped out of your house and are standing outside in public in full view, so straighten your hat, zip-up your trousers and pull them up off your knees. That's all you need to do to function like a normal human being. Not that hard to comprehend.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's such a micky mouse keyboard without this. Probably one of the most basic things a keyboard should have.

• SabSab commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this ever going to be added or..? Very useful key. I would appreciate it if you could add it, as the cursor sometimes doesn't let you move it to the last character, and a forward delete key would make deleting that character possible, despite the cursor not cooperating.

• Alison Alison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm making the switch from BlackBerry and was shocked to discover there's no forward delete key. How is this possible?!

• Daniel Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, add a delete key, a very useful key on computer and a needed one even if never seen elsewhere.

• J Webb J Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The sole reason for my search for a new keyboard was to get a DEL (forward) key, or at least shift/delete, or even arrows. I read in a forum that SwiftKey has it. Not so. At least not in the tablet version. Going back to Android until I can find something that will forward delete.

• DagmarDagmar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be beneficial to have this function while the cursor doesn't always end up where I want to put it. I have to tap more times often and forward delete would solve this issue.
        Thanks

• AZClifAZClif commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Other keyboards use the Shift+Backspace for this. Please add soon. It has to be a very simple tweak in the code. Little effort, huge impact. Thanks.

• TimTim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be VERY useful, especially if you accidentally scroll one letter to the right. Blackberry had a delete and a backspace key, no reason why Swiftkey shouldn't have this option too. Perhaps it could be done via a press and hold -> swipe option, like the period / question mark key, that way we could have backspace, delete, delete current word, ...

• PowersimonPowersimon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, I often need to delete only one letter, so I think a swype would be just "too much" for this purpose. Better to add a key.

• Xavier DéryXavier Déry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OR (sorry for the double post) we could be able to SELECT what swiping left, up and right do in the SETTINGS ! ! ! Of course swiping down closes the keyboard and that's never gonna have to change.

• Xavier DéryXavier Déry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Naaah, it would be so much better if swiping right had the "End" function ! You touche where you want to fiddle with what you've typed, do it, and then swipe right to get to the end of the line and start typing again ! !

• Jim Butt Jim Butt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shift-bkspce would be so easy to add. You're wasting the key by not having a dual role.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base