How can we improve SwiftKey?

Ability to select the default currency symbol.

657 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark BriggsMark Briggs shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    RichieRichie shared a merged idea: Change default currency symbol option.  ·   · 
    Koen AlexanderKoen Alexander shared a merged idea: Be able to choose your own currency  ·   · 
    Kevin Kevin shared a merged idea: Select Default Currency  ·   · 
    DanialDanial shared a merged idea: Choose default currency  ·   · 
    Assaf Assaf shared a merged idea: Choose default currency symbol  ·   · 
    Neal DelaneyNeal Delaney shared a merged idea: Customizable Currency Key  ·   · 
    ChCh shared a merged idea: Currency Key (manually choose which shows)  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: customizable currency  ·   · 
    Martin HornerMartin Horner shared a merged idea: customizable currency  ·   · 
    ScottScott shared a merged idea: currency key incorrect  ·   · 
    NikkoNikko shared a merged idea: customizable currency key  ·   · 
    SS shared a merged idea: Customizable currency  ·   · 
    Juan Carlos GarcíaJuan Carlos García shared a merged idea: choose your own Currency  ·   · 
    LeonLeon shared a merged idea: customizable Currency key  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Customizable currency key  ·   · 
    AriellaAriella shared a merged idea: customizable currency key  ·   · 
    David PeltzDavid Peltz shared a merged idea: customizable currency  ·   · 
    ChrisChris shared a merged idea: customizable currency  ·   · 
    Michael StorerMichael Storer shared a merged idea: customizable currency key  ·   · 
    GaryGary shared a merged idea: customizable currency  ·   · 
    NikkoNikko shared a merged idea: customizable currency  ·   · 
    Paul DunfordPaul Dunford shared a merged idea: put pound sign on main keyboard  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: customize currency key  ·   · 
    PaulPaul shared a merged idea: customize currency  ·   · 
    Meng TanMeng Tan shared a merged idea: customizable currency  ·   · 
    Santosh.PSantosh.P shared a merged idea: customizable currency (₹)  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: customizable currency  ·   · 
    KadirKadir shared a merged idea: customizable currency (turkish)  ·   · 
    DavidDavid shared a merged idea: Customizable currency  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Add a canadian english language pack, or have the option to change the £ sign in the UK pack to $.  ·   · 
    Gareth JonesGareth Jones shared a merged idea: Use the £ symbol as standard instead of the $ symbol on UK number keyboard.  ·   · 
    PalijnPalijn shared a merged idea: Euro key for european languages! / currency  ·   · 
    Ischa GastIscha Gast shared a merged idea: Where is the $ sign?  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Personalise the currency key.  ·   · 
    James LoweJames Lowe shared a merged idea: Still why no £ instead of $ on main keyboard for UK users?  ·   · 
    MarkMark shared a merged idea: Offer £, instead of $ symbol on UK language Keyboard ... ?  ·   · 
    Gerald SmithGerald Smith shared a merged idea: Default Currency should change with Language  ·   · 
    BB shared a merged idea: The euro (€) key  ·   · 
    RaviRavi shared a merged idea: UK keyboard £ default  ·   · 
    Omar AliOmar Ali shared a merged idea: Qwerty british keyboard please  ·   · 
    Andrew ShortAndrew Short shared a merged idea: Local currency symbol should be user definable.  ·   · 

99 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jake HeykoopJake Heykoop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Disappointed to see this issue raised by many and still remains an issue. Another Canadian with the unwanted £ sign as a default...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the latest update, my $ is no longer the default currency symbol, it's the British Pound. I live in the US and have not changed anything except updated the app.

• David PerkinsDavid Perkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just bought a Google Nexus 5 and downloaded SwiftKey on it. My locale is Canada, my News and Weather app recognizes me as living in Toronto, but my default currency is still the pound. I have tried changing to different keyboard languages (CAN, US, UK), but the pound remains the default currency. How can I make the dollar ($) my default currency?

• TonkleChickenTonkleChicken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am in Australia and have AU English selected. Just recently my Nexus 7 tablet is now showing pounds. It was perfect until a few weeks back.

This may be related to the 4.4.4 update. Problem is not evident on my 4.3 Samsung phone.

• Phill Phill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using Canadian English and I'm getting the pound sign by default. I also ********* us and Australian English as well. I am a paying customer, and this issue cropped up with the last big update. Everything was fine before then.

• Jose Luis GallardoJose Luis Gallardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the mean time Swiftkey decides to do something, you can install an app Locale More - Language Settings from Wow App. Once installed, you can choose from all different kinds of combinations and hopefully is yours. If you have Android 4.3 or later it need to be rooted. If is not, then this app give you a very simple step by step way to give access downloading a zip file with a .bat file to execute with your phone connected to the PC. That way I could install a Spanish language with Mexico Country region and the issue is now solved. It is a big workaround that works but to my taste, Swiftkey could let us choose the symbol and others like % to be managed in the main keyboard. I hope this helps.

One more request here. I live in Mexico and we use the $ symbol. Moreover, we use spanish and english as languages and both with $ symbol. Unfortunately, if we put the phone on spanish, the default (android) is spanish from Spain and therefore the Euro sign. It is very annoying. I wish Swiftkey develop the ability to listen, specially a pay customer like me. I hope they can understand that we need to decide which symbol to use and also to have the % and ° signs as secondary options. Those three and maybe more are commonly used all the time.

One more request here. I live in Mexico and we use the $ symbol. Moreover, we use spanish and english as languages and both with $ symbol. Unfortunately, if we put the phone on spanish, the default (android) is spanish from Spain and therefore the Euro sign. It is very annoying. I wish Swiftkey develop the ability to listen, specially a pay customer like me. I hope they can understand that we need to decide which symbol to use and also to have the % and ° signs as secondary options. Those three and maybe more are commonly used all the time.

I'm in Australia and I get the '£' by default! It should be '$'.

Language is set to Australian English btw.

I've tried switching to other languages, but the currency is still set to British Pounds.

• Dafe OputuDafe Oputu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm in Canada, my language is set to Canadian English, and for some reason my default currency is British Pounds. I just want dollar signs.

• MrHunterMrHunter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would hugely appreciate this feature. I get why it's made this way, but personally, I'm Dutch and I have my phone language set to English, UK because I prefer that to the Dutch translations in Android.

Sadly, though, the Sterling Pound is my *least used* currency symbol while I actually like UK English the best. I'd prefer to have a Euro in there, especially because GBP are also displayed in the secondary ('numpad') screen of SwiftKey, and if I want Euros I have to go through the third screen OR back to the first to type a €.

I think I'm not the only person who lives in a non-English speaking country but who still has his/her phone set in English. I'd appreciate your understanding for situations like these!

• Calvin YeoCalvin Yeo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Imagine this scenario :

A US English speaker travelling to other countries - he probably will not want to switch his native US English language selection in Android, BUT would still want to switch to the local currency symbol, be it € , £ , $ or ¥ .

This applies to any global user of SwiftKey.

Some South East Asian countries use UK English, and by selecting UK English, we automatically get £.

Err... we lost our colonial masters over 50 years ago.

Please make an option to select some preferences.

It can't be that hard. The beta already allows us to select the primary/secondary function for the return key/smiley key.

echoing the other sentiments on this forum. The auto-detection is broken. I am in Canada and using UK spellings. Showing Pounds rather than dollar sign.

• BenBen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sarah Reynolds, there's a problem with Australia, still showing the pound sign.

• AndreAndre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Kevin for the work around, but I would still prefer a proper solution from the devs. What is happening guys?

• Kevin Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Never mind, this issue is fixed by going into your phones language settings and selecting English (US), not the SwiftKey settings.

• JubaJuba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still waiting for this option its no fun to hold this key if using a lot the $ sign, hope its soon.

• BrandonBrandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As many are saying, I prefer to use UK English as my locale, but as a Canadian, I work in dollars, not pounds. A custom setting would be much better.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base