How can we improve SwiftKey?

Backspace should return to previous word (Undo function)

When a word is corrected but wasn't required to be, the user should be able to go back to the original word by pressing backspace

1,856 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Arjuna ChandrakumarArjuna Chandrakumar shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Stanislav DimitrovStanislav Dimitrov shared a merged idea: Add an undo button for autocorrection  ·   · 
    Assaf Zelinger Assaf Zelinger shared a merged idea: Undo  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: delete key = Undo last autocorrection  ·   · 
    JohnJohn shared a merged idea: Backspace = Undo  ·   · 
    Ian Jose Ian Jose shared a merged idea: Undo functionality  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Undo  ·   · 
    JBSJBS shared a merged idea: "Undo" function  ·   · 
    IttayIttay shared a merged idea: When the user backs up a correction, reverse to the uncorrected version  ·   · 
    IttayIttay shared a merged idea: Hitting backspace = undo  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: backspace = undo  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Delete button to undo a prediction.  ·   · 
    Joey Joey shared a merged idea: undo  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: When backspace is used, recall the original word typed, not the suggested one  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Undo  ·   · 
    Bill Le GrandeBill Le Grande shared a merged idea: Undo  ·   · 
    Bill Le GrandeBill Le Grande shared a merged idea: undo  ·   · 
    James ValentineJames Valentine shared a merged idea: undo  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: delete key = undo  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: delete key = undo  ·   · 
    VadimVadim shared a merged idea: Correction of the typed word in case of mistake and not the predicted one.  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: When typing a custom word, and hit space - then backspace, the custom word disappears  ·   · 
    Nate GanttNate Gantt shared a merged idea: Back space reverts suggestion / Undo  ·   · 
    Tim van der LeeuwTim van der Leeuw shared a merged idea: Backspace should undo auto completion / correction  ·   · 
    Brandon MilnerBrandon Milner shared a merged idea: Don't keep suggesting corrections I press backspace to reject  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: re-use user enter word  ·   · 
    Paul KellettPaul Kellett shared a merged idea: Incorrect suggestion more easily corrected  ·   · 
    Gerd ZiegenhornGerd Ziegenhorn shared a merged idea: Memory for the last typed word / Undo  ·   · 
    HaraldHarald shared a merged idea: Back should erase auto spell corrected word and the original typed word should show up.  ·   · 
    etcheetche shared a merged idea: Back to typed word when 'predicted' one is wrong  ·   · 
    AlexAlex shared a merged idea: Return to typed word if autocorrect is wrong  ·   · 
    ColinColin shared a merged idea: Remember the word before auto correct  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Use [backspace] to counteract the previous selected autocorrection  ·   · 
    Luke HutchisonLuke Hutchison shared a merged idea: Please make Backspace undo the previous autocorrection, not just delete the previous character  ·   · 
    started  ·  Sarah ReynoldsAdminSarah Reynolds (Support Representative, SwiftKey) responded  · 

SwiftKey Cloud (4.2) has now been released to market! This version of SwiftKey includes improved backspace behavior so that suggested words now prioritize exact text entered after backspace is used to fix a mis-correction or completion.

If you have previously purchased SwiftKey, you should be able to update for free (use the same account and app store).

See our blog post for more info: http://www.swiftkey.net/en/blog/swiftkey-cloud-launched/

Thanks for your support!

107 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • LiamLiam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem with this is that if the corrected word was correct and the user wants to add a suffix onto the end of the word, the user would naturally press backspace to then proceed and add the suffix, which then with this function would change back to the unpredicted word.
        For example, if the user were to type 'Predi' and they want to finish the word as 'Predicted' and 'Predict' is the first correction, the user would press the space bar to get that correction, and then delete to go back to the end of the word to add 'ed' onto the end. Whereas if this function was enabled pressing delete would take it back to 'Predi', rather than go to the end of the word to add the suffix.

• Amy Corron PowerAmy Corron Power commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is so frustrating is that after I go back and choose my original word 2 or 3 times the stupid system STILL changes my spelling to something it suggested

• Thomas Handley Thomas Handley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the only reason I'm going back to Google keyboard. All it takes to solve this is a settings option for backspace undo--but after more than 3 years I can only conclude that this is a company that doesn't care about its customers.

• kennykenny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's now March 2014. How long does it take to add the most needed feature possible? This thread started in 2011!!!

• JohnJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah how is this not implemented? SwiftKey is really 4 years behind Google?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Contrary to Sarah Reynolds official response from August 21, 2013, SwiftKey Cloud (4.2) does NOT prioritise the text typed after backspace is used to fix a mis-correction or completion. The text typed appears on the left of the three suggestions; to me 'prioritise' would mean it appearing in the middle of the three, such that it can automatically be re-selected to replace the mis-correction or completion.

I don't know why I'm making this comment though, because I'm quite sure that now SwiftKey think this feature request is implemented they won't be reading any further responses :o(

Ian

Hello, I'd like to vote for this request. As a programmer and student I use typically 2 languages and lots of special words which simply cannot be suggested. Why is it not implemented yet? What is the problem of adding one if statement and one options setting with checkbox to allow this feature? I don't get it. It is so frustrating.
        If I at least knew why is it that way I won't be so angry.

• aidas@google.comaidas@google.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please implement this request, - the major and most frustrating thing for me about swiftkey is inability to 'undo'.

• leapleap commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm starting to realize I miss this feature immensely. Not even 24 hours has gone by since I bought it and I might dump it because of this. The official reply is a joke too, and even more so coming from a frontline support lead.

Keep making the suggestion till they get it. It shows incredible arrogance that they haven't fixed it already!
        Not until they put a chip in our head will predictions be 100% accurate. There should be a quick undo option, especially when they turn rhe into rheumatoid rather that the. Why should I have to backspace through their bad prediction?

• Robin McKenzieRobin McKenzie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with a bunch of the comments here. Why no undo?

What's more concerning (and telling) is the lack of response from SwiftKey themselves... Come on guys, start treating your customers (and those that are giving you FREE feedback) with some respect.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really can't believe this still is not fixed. 4.2 does not at all do what is requested here.

C'mon, I already referred several people to buy SwiftKey. But at the moment I suggest everyone to stick with the original google keyboard.

• Ed ChmielEd Chmiel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with everyone supporting backspace goes BACK to what I typed!!!!!! That is a PITA to deal with.

@Sarah Reynolds I second Hari's findings; I have v4.2 and I just signed up for Cloud for the first time, and I find the behaviour unchanged. If I type 'twxt' it is auto-corrected to 'text' when I tap space (as expected) but when I tap backspace the promoted spelling in the middle of the three suggestions is still 'text' and my 'twxt' is still on the left, so tapping space again leaves the auto-correction in place. This is the previous behaviour - what are we missing Sarah?

• Daniel StrausDaniel Straus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, if I type "fix the blendShape," right after I press comma, it will change to "fix the blend Shane,"

I should be able to just hit back space once and have it change back to the way I typed it. This issue makes using SwiftKey very cumbersome.

• Daniel StrausDaniel Straus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Swiftkey 4.2 the implementation sucks so bad and isn't even remotely close to what is being asked for here. Fix this ASAP!

• HariHari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dave, the google keyboard behavior of undoing aggressively on backspace is sometimes is inconvenient (for making incremental changes). Please see my suggestion from "August 21, 2013 5:00 pm" which is a good compromise between the two approaches.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base