How can we improve SwiftKey?

Change rules regarding spaces/corrections when punctuation is inserted

This is the place for all of the requests asking for

Changes to the way that auto-spacing works before/after punctuation (e.g. "(" having a space before but not after and ")" having a space after but not before)

Changes to the way that punctuation accepts predictions (e.g. "," accepts the middle prediction but ";" does not)

Original post:
tweak "always insert a prediction with space" setting to behave differently after punctuation. After any punctuation mark, space should actually insert a space, but typing anything else should 'remove' the auto-space. More simply: *the prediction after punctuation that usually is followed by a space ('.','?','!', etc) should BE a space* thus, when you press (space) after a '.', it inserts a ' ' (space character). To me, this would seem like an easy way to incorporate it into your pre-existing program AND allow learning of hyphenated words or initials.

This would allow easier typing of words like:

e.g.
a:b
orangey-yellow
:)
dotNotation.JavaScript();

So imagine you type this sentence: 'Mary went to school'
--> to insert 'school', you type a '.' | 'Mary went to school.'
--> after the period, you type (space), which inserts a space | 'Mary went to school. '
--> now you type normally again (with auto-capitalization at beginning of sentence, etc).

doing this with all punctuation would make it easier to write initials, hyphenated words, etc without the incredible frustration of constantly having to delete back.

Not only that, it would make typing with Swiftkey **more intuitive.** Typing on a normal keyboard, you use a space to separate words (as swiftkey does now with space to enter prediction) AND you use a space after most punctuation marks. When I first started using Swiftkey, I frequently would type a (space) after a '.' and end up inserting an unwanted prediction. Generally, I want the space-inserts-prediction-feature, but it makes it incredibly frustrating to type anything with punctuation, abbreviations,acronyms, etc.

- The "space always inserts a prediction" feature is incredibly important for typing quickly with Swiftkey. It just needs to be changed a bit.

515 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AhmedAhmed shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dan BartellDan Bartell shared a merged idea: Cancel autocapitalization/spacing under certain conditions  ·   · 
    goutmpostgoutmpost shared a merged idea: Dash (—),hyphen (-), colon ( : ) etc with auto space  ·   · 
    AlinAlin shared a merged idea: The semicolon (;) the colon (:) and the apostrophe (') are not recognized as punctuation as dot (.) or comma (,)  ·   · 
    Joël BourquardJoël Bourquard shared a merged idea: Auto complete current word when typing a separator (hyphen, ampersand, colon, ...)  ·   · 
    JaimeJaime shared a merged idea: Insert more punctuation next to previous word (@, :, /, , ', etc.)  ·   · 

35 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nick TinsleyNick Tinsley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Automatically inserted spaces are still so annoying, not just because of the very valid issues raised in the original post but also because trailing spaces at the end of typing is really unnecessary. Why can't we disable this?

• DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wtf why is this not fixed? Please give me the option to turn off inserting a space when I don't want it to! Also try this when auto correct is on; write a word that's not in the dictionary, press the new word at the top, delete the space it automatically puts in then put an explanation mark. It auto corrects the word again! So basically you can't put a new word with an explanation mark unless you turn correction off!

• Anton TynnikovAnton Tynnikov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Colon and semicolon should:
        1. insert prediction and
        2. delete the space that precedes them (unless a space is required by language rules like in French).

• xWavexWave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are so much ideas / bugs / topics that deal with the fact that spaces are inserted where it's not intended (e.g. before the colon) that it's hard to decide where to comment or to vote. If all these topics were combined the devs could see that it's a main wish.

Someone should clean this topic mess up.
        Even better: Swiftkey should finally get a setting that handles this. :-)

• Marcia ZimmermanMarcia Zimmerman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New problem as of yesterday: the app is inserting spaces BEFORE end punctuation, so "Hi!" becomes "Hi !" And the only way to delete the space seems to be to position the cursor in front of the exclamation point, then delete.

• Sam PetrocelliSam Petrocelli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am surprised I paid for an additional keyboard for my phone that doesn't have more settings. I can understand not having a ton of settings for the user, so just put an option in to unlock additional settings. There should be settings for auto-capitalization, inserting spaces for auto-corrected/inserted words, inserting spaces after punctuation (periods and commas especially). It would take all of a couple hours to code this. Please insert these basic features, I and many others paid good money.

• JennJenn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to have just the predicted word inserted. No spaces. This is simply to have consistency between phone and computer. Now if I chose a predicted word then hit space I end up with a period & capital! Very irritating and only slows down my typing.

Jenn

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 regarding removing the leading space in front of colon, semi-colon and quotation marks.

Using English and Dutch languages, if it matters.

• Alessandro PrunaiAlessandro Prunai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely agree about colon/semicolon and quotation marks! The autospace feature is really unhandy there, as it forces the user to go back and delete the extra space manually, increasing the time needed to write - exactly what SwiftKey should NOT do! :)

• Agreed!Agreed! commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 and I would appreciate it if a four-dot ellipsis (....) kept the auto-capitalization.
        +1
        +1 because when writing a text, characters count.

• MalteMalte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Especially for the colon ( : ) I don't get it at all why SwiftKey won't delete the space before that symbol. Is there any language where it makes sense to have a space before a colon?

• Antonio Lo GiudiceAntonio Lo Giudice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Changes to the way that punctuation accepts predictions (e.g. "," accepts the middle prediction but ";" does not)

";" should accept prediction

Picture this:
        1) I want to write: "Things to remember: " with " : " at the end right beside to "remember".
        2) What I type is "Things toremnnrr" and in the prediction bar is selected to predict "to remember"
        3) If I don't tap the prediction and I'll long-press the letter to obtain " : " the prediction "to remember" won't go through and I'll have this:
        " Things toremnnrr: "

This doesn't happen if you tap or swipe other symbols like , . ? ! (it autopredict correctly "to remember")
        It would be right to have this behavour for long-press on symbols like ( ) : ; /

• John MacLeodJohn MacLeod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, if I delete a capitalised letter & replace it with the same, please, please don't capitalise it again!

• MartinMartin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that automatic inserting spaces should be voluntery. In Czech language is very anoying to keep erasing extra spaces after every ','. I don't want to change my typing habits and this really makes me angry.

• LeeLee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just want to add that I completely agree on all accounts of not having a space after punctuation.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base