How can we improve SwiftKey?

What if you could long-press on a prediction to get different forms of the word? / word variations / word variants

What if long-pressing on a prediction gave you a menu with different forms of the word. Many times I see SwiftKey predict the right word, but in the wrong form (Ex: predict, predicted, prediction, predicts), and I have to type it out.

3,122 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jamie SmithJamie Smith shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    chriscardinalchriscardinal shared a merged idea: Use pop-up/swipe functionality for prediction derivatives/tenses/plurals  ·   · 
    Mackenzie LangloisMackenzie Langlois shared a merged idea: Word variations!!!  ·   · 

46 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just want to add my support to this idea. I have just converted from the Google keyboard. If you long-press the suggestion then you get a menu of (around) 12 or 15 words in a larger grid. Invariably the desired word will be among them.

I'm assuming the suggested words are scored in some way and the top three are suggested. So this would 'merely' be a case of offering the next highest scorers (which is slightly different to the suggestions below where different endings are offered, to be fair).

Anyway, this is a feature from Google's keyboard I'm missing already. Cheers!

• AlexAlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Full support! I've suggested in a post of my own to see more suggestions/predictions, but Swiftkey doesn't like that solution.

So I admit, yours is very elegant: the most common case is that Swiftkey "gets" the right word, but the inflection is off (especially bad in languages with heavy inflection, like German), and I would *love* to see your solution implemented:

Any chance we can get a response from Swiftkey on this? Long-press a words gives several more inflections/variants of the same word stem, as described by OP. The most elegant solution for the problem that keeps popping up in this support forum (that users have to type more than necessary to get to the exact right form of the word they want).

• Peter BowersPeter Bowers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the latest version of swiftkey, I believe, and I do not see this feature in there... I have tried clicking or long-clicking or double-clicking on one of the 3 suggestions and I have tried clicking on the word in the text after I have typed it - nada...

Am I missing something? It looked like this was put into beta in February so presumably should be here by now...

• Sonny PattersonSonny Patterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I actually came here to make this suggestion. This is the killer feature. It's frustrating to have to keep typing just because the word choice you have is a form of the word. Sometimes I choose the word, backspace, and continue. But that's a hassle too, especially when it's a longer form. I think the problem is that you have to create data structures of word relationships. Dictionaries (see there, I just chose dictionary then backspace twice to change the dictionaries; hey, I just did it again), you know regular old fashioned dictionaries, have these relationships annotated. I'm sure you can manage to buy one ready made.

• DLMDLM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see that this requested feature has been on the list for a while and apparently even in beta version. Is it still under consideration? Seems like it would be a very significant improvement and be very intuitive to use. Instead of only 3 predictions, I would have many, many more, but simply grouped in 3 columns.

• Espen Haug Espen Haug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like Dennis said - horizontally scrollable bar with word suggestions - OR an extra button on the side to open a BIGGER list of words..! This should be first priority...

• AttiMAttiM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please work on it! It is the only one function what I miss - especially in Hungarian language, where are so many variations of words in inflacted form!

• Gamblor77Gamblor77 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FYI - The latest swiftkey beta does allow you to click on a word and has different forms of the word or suggestions. It also automatically jumps to the end of the word clicked so you don't have extra characters left behind when u pick the suggestion. You can either download the beta here:
        http://swiftkey.net/flow/

Or wait until it's officially released. Since the beta expires Feb 21st 2013 and most of the bugs have been dealt with, I would assume it would be officially released to the Play store around then. I'm just speculating though.

• MalcolmMalcolm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would eliminate one of the final things about swiftkey 3 that still bugs me to hell. Please implement this!!

• Denis YurkinDenis Yurkin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What if we can just tap on any part of a word and see horizontal bar of alternatives?
        And if 3 suggestions is not enough, make the horizontal bar scrollable to the right, as in Swype Beta?

• Wolfgang WeberWolfgang Weber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An easy way to get different forms of a word (e.g. declination forms) would make Swiftkey even better. It might not be that important for English, but it would improve the user experience for German speakers (like me) a lot.
        And I agree with Peter who wrote: "What if it wasn't even a long press, but tap and drag up/down." Maybe some kind of swiping gesture would be better than long pressing on a word to get its different forms.

• PKLMPKLM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! This would save so much time! At the moment I get as close to the word I want, choose that then press backspace & I am usually given the version of the word I want (or at get closer!)

• a l y s s aa l y s s a commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be brilliant, especially for Italian, French and Spanish spekaers... think about all the different forms neolatin words have... a real pain in the you-know-what.

Please take this tip seriously into consideration.

• Landon WilsonLandon Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i have used 3 keyboards that do this really just two as two of them are ics stock and jb stock. the other was adaptxt keyboard. i like the way stock ics/jb do it though long press the prediction to bring it up.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base