How can we improve SwiftKey?

Manually edit dictionary - add or remove words

Editing the dictionary.. For example deleting passwords added to the dictionary by mistake.

3,920 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ali XHaxAli XHax shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Ron Kolman Ron Kolman shared a merged idea: Please add a person word list so shit or damn needn't be pluncked out key- by-pass?  ·   · 
    SasaSasa shared a merged idea: Edit the dictionary  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Edit dictionary  ·   · 
    Amaree matthewsAmaree matthews shared a merged idea: Manually edit dictionary  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Manually edit dictionary  ·   · 
    jamesjames shared a merged idea: Add the ability to edit the dictionary  ·   · 
    jasonjason shared a merged idea: have a personalized dictionary so I can input my own words for it to predict.  ·   · 
    JimmyJimmy shared a merged idea: user accessible dictionary  ·   · 
    Avi LeitnerAvi Leitner shared a merged idea: Full Access to user dictionary  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: editable dictionary  ·   · 
    Anthon GillespieAnthon Gillespie shared a merged idea: Custom dictionary  ·   · 
    ChrisChris shared a merged idea: See and edit 'personalized' dictionary that SwiftKey uses?  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: user accessible list of Learned Words / dictionary  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Manually edit dictionary  ·   · 
    BryanBryan shared a merged idea: Option to force new words to be saved in dictionary after typing it once.  ·   · 
    Imad MWKImad MWK shared a merged idea: More user friendly dictionary  ·   · 
    ZUUL42ZUUL42 shared a merged idea: I would like to be able to view and edit the user dictionary much like I can with the default keyboard. The optimum solution would be to us  ·   · 
    DemonwithinDemonwithin shared a merged idea: Ability to view, add, and remove all custom words in dictionary  ·   · 
    Kirk KucheraKirk Kuchera shared a merged idea: User Dictionary  ·   · 

You can remove accidentally-saved passwords (or any other word that you don’t want in your model) by longpressing on the prediction and choosing “Remove”.

Because SwiftKey takes into account the context in which you use a word, the best way to add words is to do so at the time when you want to type them.

If your spacebar is set to “complete current word” or “insert a prediction” then the left-hand prediction will show the exact lettters that you have typed. Tap it to insert the word.

If your spacebar is set to “always insert a space” then just tap the space and the word you typed is inserted.

SwiftKey will learn every word that you type, but if your word is competing with another popular word (similar tap pattern, similar flow pattern or similar context) then it may take a few goes before your word is predicted.

152 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AshAsh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rubbish. I can view my personal dictionary in another keyboard app.

• Tony Tony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm having the same problem as Johnny g. Luckily I'm still on the trial and probably won't purchase it. The predictions suck now.

• Johnny GJohnny G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ugh! How did all my memorized disappear?? SwiftKey was working beautifully up until last week. Now all my names have disappeared and SwiftKey is not learning them! No matter what i do... This is so frustrating. Now SwiftKey has slowed me down considerably because I have to spell out my name in every email or text. I have to spell out my kids names too. What happened and why won't it learn the names again. It's as if SwiftKey refuses to acknowledge many of my old learned words at all costs. Including all of the email addresses that were once in my dictionary. Help!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let me create my own dictionary!!! SwiftKey appears to have lost every word it had learned, a couple of months ago, and it WILL NOT RELEARN THEM!!! It replaces real words with crap, constantly. I'm getting so fed up, I'm about to get rid of it!!!

• Finlay GalbraithFinlay Galbraith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to add Keyboard shortcuts not just add to the current dictionary. For instance on Google keyboard writing sunglasses gives me this:
        •_•)
        ( •_•)>⌐■-■
        (⌐■_■)

Disapproval gives me this:
        ಠ_ಠ

I have a bunch of similar shortcuts, which I find useful but the method you described cannot produce this nor will an update to the predictive text cover this.

• David BoydDavid Boyd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The response is ignoring what we are asking for. We want a actual dictionary option in the settings that we can go to and see all the words we have added or mistaking added. As of right now the stupid app is not learning my typing and it's very frustrating. This could be a fix for the short term but a very nice future for the long term. I don't know why this simple feature isn't available to everyone as i think it's a very important feature. I love the key our but it's very annoying that it's not learning my words and let alone doesn't know major cities like Vancouver. When I long press it to forget a prediction it doesn't work. It's still and always has been broken for me.

PLEASE ADD A CUSTOM DICTIONARY OPTIONS TO THE SETTINGS!

Thank you. Cheers.

• ZUUL42ZUUL42 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know I can long press. HOWEVER I want to see a full list and I want to be able to edit that list. If there is just a plain txt file I can manually edit or a database, that's fine, but I want direct control instead of maybe I see a mistake when it pops up or not.
        I WANT TO SEE THE MASTER LIST.

• Dain BramagedDain Bramaged commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still, for someone using "alaways insert space", it is impossible to delete a wrong word learnt from Facebook or something. And we can't add words of our own without having to use them first.

• John GrantJohn Grant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My wife's name is Rebeccah, with an "h". I've been using SwiftKey for over a year. I've had it learn from my email, twitter, and Facebook account. It still doesn't have her name in my dictionary - at all! I have to type every single letter every single time. I have the same problem with several other words/abbreviations; like "i.e." that takes a copious amount of keystrokes. SwiftKey - FAIL.

• KluviKluvi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if there will be some flag and when i check my vocabulary, i can mark all those as checked. Later i can check only those, which are unchecked.
        It would be great.

• Vladimír PřibylVladimír Přibyl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add and delete world to or from dictionary at the typing time is ok. But I need possibility to correct worlds in the dictionary. Some of them delete, some of them correct. Offline, not at typing time, because many times I have no time to correct long incorrect words. See HTC. My old HTC had option to browse and correct whole user dictionary.

• Stephan Stephan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Delete a word work fine with me. Press 5 sec and delete... With version 4.2.0.155

I long pressed for about 30 seconds and nothing happens. I saved the word uf by mistake and need to remove it. Could someone please tell me how I can do that, since long pressing does nothing.

• rezareza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I came here to create a topic for this but since there is already one i add my case here.
        I really love using swiftkey on my s4. I actually bought the payed version since i like the look and feel of the original.
        Now after using it for a few month and also getting cloud backup only thing I miss and which annoys me is the lack of ability to add words to the database.
        Example, today I wanted to write "challenge" using swiftkey but it ended up
        Writing "valance". You can try it yourself. No matter how much I tried to teach swiftkey it just would not learn it or even suggest the right word to me. There should be possible to extend the vocabulary by adding new words to the language database. Is there any work being done on this already maybe?

• PedroPedro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Overall it works fine. However some times words that I've never used pop up over others that I use more often. And I also think that dictionary manual editing is a must.

Customer service here STINKS. I got no response to my question, and they have NO contact information. PLUS that dictionary with all those useless entries just slows me down. I STILL can't get "we" to come up. Why would I need all those proper nouns? Just give us the basics and let us add our own words.

I was about to buy it, but decided against it. Mainly because, after spending HOURS deleting useless words, the slow way because there doesn't seem to be a way to edit that dictionary, I realized that getting the paid version would just give me the same dictionary back and I'd have to do it all over again!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base