How can we improve SwiftKey?

Predicted email addresses shouldn't be auto-capitalized

Predicted email addresses shouldn't be auto-capitalized as most people write their email addresses in lowercase letters only.

765 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Stefan AssegStefan Asseg shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

When you type @ SwiftKey goes into “literal mode” and does not autocorrect or add spaces because it knows that you are writing an email address.

Before you type the @ SwiftKey does not yet know that you are typing an email address.

In text boxes that identify themselves as email address fields SwiftKey does not add capitals or spaces.

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BogdanBogdan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@SarahReynolds: Even if it goes into "literal mode" after it sees the @, it could still notice that just before it I wrote some letters that it capitalized.

It could at least offer to reverse the auto-capitalization in this case an an auto correction.

For example, say that I type 'mike' and SK turns it to 'Mike'. Then I type @, so the text in the box becomes 'Mike@'. It should offer 'mike@' as a "suggestion", which would be much easier to pick than to remove the capitalization by hand.

Also, since SK looks in emails and contacts to build its dictionary, it might be nice if it remembered the addresses there and gave suggestions from them when the '@' is detected.

• Bob BlanchettBob Blanchett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is my biggest gripe with SwiftKey. Username/email leading capitalisation.

My single biggest source of retyping/editing annoyance is having my email

foo.bar@fqdn end up as Foo. Bar@fqdn

A list of user storable stop phrases would be useful here.

True when used as a new email address the user part is case insensitive just like the rfc says.

But when email as username scenario comes about there is no guarantee applications normalise their user names.

• El CarumbaEl Carumba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So many of the auto features are just a pain in the butt! The solution is to allow us to turn them off. I'm tired if fighting auto caps and especially auto space. I can type a space easily enough thank you but it's a pain to correct the multitude of occasions when they are nit wanted

• MarcoidMarcoid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with other comments -- besides the auto-capitalization issue, SwiftKey should also not automatically enter a space after typing a period in an email address field. I find that I have to fight with SwiftKey to get these corrected almost every time I enter an my email address (especially the period-space problem).

• AlinAlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! Also auto spacing should be disabled within email field and disabling prediction in forms for passwords too.

• Gerald SnymanGerald Snyman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SwiftKey should realize whenever I am attempting to write an email address, even in an SMS or WhatsApp, anywhere...

A. Sample@gmail.com ---> a.sample@gmail.com

No matter how many times I correct it, SwiftKey never remembers it. Only when I switch to lower case, and hit "a." then it suggests "a.sample@gmail.com". Instead, I want to just to type and "A. S" and then it should suggest "a.sample@gmail.com", because when I have to switch to lower case first, makes SwiftKey loose its goal of being swift...

• NilayNilay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Correct. Also auto spacing should be disabled within email field. cause email me contain fullstops. after every dot it capitalizes and adds spaces. Very frustrating for me.

• Martyn Martyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely agree re emails and disabling prediction in forms for passwords. Make it a user selected setting.

• Caesar EcksCaesar Ecks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It works for me... If an autocorrect has an email with a capitalized letter I just remove it and retype in all lowercase and select the ready to be autocorrected email and it's good to go!!

• Stefan AssegStefan Asseg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Apart from all the other reasons for this improvement, I, being a software developer myself, am convinced that it should be pretty easy and not at all time-intensive to implement.

• MontyMonty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately some websites that use email addresses for usernames don't conform to standards, and are in fact case sensitive or fouled up by a trailing space. These things should be irrelevant. They're not. Most important there's no excuse for Swiftkey to treat these legitimate uses in a non-standard manner.

• Peter Gil Peter Gil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also should not automatically add a space. These two things get me every time. I hit submit or login & get invalid email error from website.

• Mark Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually, I don't want my account names predicted at all! Need an anti-prediction database.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base