How can we improve SwiftKey?

switch "voice input' with "voice typing" in ICS.

Allow to change the voice input option. so we would be able to use the voice typing engine in ICS.

1,528 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: support Google's ICS speech input  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: voice typing  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Please allow Google voice typing  ·   · 
    Justin Justin shared a merged idea: Add Google speech to text.  ·   · 
    Jamie HobertJamie Hobert shared a merged idea: ICS Voice typing  ·   · 
    Zack ArnoldZack Arnold shared a merged idea: ics voice typing  ·   · 
    MastergalenMastergalen shared a merged idea: voice typing  ·   · 
    chasechase shared a merged idea: ICS Voice typing  ·   · 
    Jason KatzJason Katz shared a merged idea: ics voice typing  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: ICS Voice typing  ·   · 
    JoseJose shared a merged idea: ICS Voice typing  ·   · 
    Jared BriceJared Brice shared a merged idea: ICS Voice typing  ·   · 
    Alex CarvalloAlex Carvallo shared a merged idea: Either give an option to use Google's stock voice to text or make yours like theirs that shows text as you speak and allows for hesitation.  ·   · 
    CoreyCorey shared a merged idea: Give option to select different voice input  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: ICS Voice typing  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Voice recognition fix  ·   · 
    joyjoy shared a merged idea: voice  ·   · 
    GeoffreyGeoffrey shared a merged idea: Better voice command  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: For voice recognition, can the link be to the voice typing instead?  ·   · 
    Alex IkejianiAlex Ikejiani shared a merged idea: Voice input  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: ICS Voice Typing  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Allow ics voice recognition option for SwiftKey mic button  ·   · 
    Jahrid PierreJahrid Pierre shared a merged idea: Be able to hit a button and activate the google voice typing Galaxy Nexus  ·   · 
    Sandra NoriegaSandra Noriega shared a merged idea: swiftkey voice recogniton gives me options, not feasible to choose one while driving. Can this feature (3 choices) be turned off?  ·   · 
    PaulPaul shared a merged idea: Voice input change in ICS  ·   · 
    PaulPaul shared a merged idea: Voice input change  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: ICS voice input is not working. It should write words as you speak.  ·   · 
    Matt SokolinskiMatt Sokolinski shared a merged idea: enable dictation in android 4.0. pressing microphone button turns on normal voice Action  ·   · 
    Joshua MimsJoshua Mims shared a merged idea: An option to turn off voice input suggestions.  ·   · 
    Donald RayDonald Ray shared a merged idea: Make voice recognition continuous until cancel like it is on Better Keyboard 8  ·   · 
    Brandon LindquistBrandon Lindquist shared a merged idea: Add option to disable "best match" window from popping up after voice input.  ·   · 

147 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • OzminOzmin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Voice input should be a regular press (not a long press) and it should use the type as you talk functionality that stock ICS uses. I'm going back to stock until this is resolved.

• Evan TapperAdminEvan Tapper (Admin, SwiftKey) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No offense taken.

I've actually passed the previously mentioned Google Dev Blog entry on to the appropriate parties. It was great to get that nugget of information from you guys. Much appreciated! Personally, I'd love to see this integrated for all parties involved.

• Dan Allen Dan Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No offense Evan, but how hard is this? What is there to really "look into"?

The code has been posted in the goog developer blog..I'm pretty sure we could pull the APK apart and do it ourselves. With all the texting laws in place in the US now this is becoming a safety issue, having to futz around with things to get to voice to text is just not safe. Yes, I know we shouldn't be texting and driving...there are stop lights however ;-)

• Matthew HansenMatthew Hansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that this lack of the ics voice typing being used in conjuction with your product is the ONLY reason that I have not used the beta's accept to realize that they are superior in every other way. As a person that has to send many messages via voice dictation I find your current implementation to interactive for someone that is traveling. By allowing the switch to the stock ics voice typing your product would be my only and permanent keyboard as far as I can see.

• Dan Allen Dan Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Posted on their FB page-
        "Why is voice to text for ICS being ignored? This is the single biggest issue and not a mention of any work being done on it. Google has published info on how to implement it also..."

Response-
        "Hi Dan, we are not ignoring this, but these things take time, and there are a lot of other requests and issues that we have to balance. We are listening so please do keep posting and commenting."

So basically, "no comment". Time to go look for a new solution. It was a good product while relevant. At least the Gingerbread folks will get some life out of it.

• joseph carsonjoseph carson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, I tried this keyboard but I will not switch to a 3rd partying keyboard that I have to pay for without having ics speech to text in it.

• Eddie Rivera Eddie Rivera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the #1 reason I switch to the native keyboard. Even if the SwiftKey didn't use the ICS engine, there's is absolutely no reason why the Voice Input interface is so poor.

Rather than display three options in barely readable text, it is infinitely more convenient to simply enter the voice input in the text box and edit a few words.

• Dayo OyedepoDayo Oyedepo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is my most desired feature and it's still not in the Beta 3 version I'm currently using.
        Please guys add this option at all costs.
        Thanks, you're the best.

• George DrakeGeorge Drake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be the best keyboard ever but the voice input kinda sucks now that ICS has the real time voice input. Why can't you have it all? Got an awesome keyboard with awesome predictions but the voice part sucks. SMH.

• SandroSandro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No progress on this change? If you can't solve the ICS voice input method, at least change the screen colors where you select best match - gray letters on black background is impossible to see anywhere outdoors.

• trevor ptrevor p commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Benjamin, i know exactly what you mean. I really hope they add it very soon. I'm using SwiftKey 3 Beta and it's not in here so I don't know when they plan on adding it.

• BenjaminBenjamin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would agree, I tend to use swiftkey for about a week, and then after really needing the voice typing for some random reason and having to use the old style I end up uninstalling until the next update. This really needs to be fixed.

• trevor ptrevor p commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I keep switching between SwiftKey 3 beta and the ICS stock keyboard on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus. I really like both keyboards, but prefer SwiftKey. I only wish SwiftKey used the ICS Voice Typing instead of Voice Actions like on Gingerbread. Voice Typing is so much better than Voice Actions. I hope that you all integrate Voice Typing for ICS devices soon!! Thanks!

• Jake Van EppsJake Van Epps commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please remove the need for long press to get to Google Voice Actions and replace with Google Voice Typing. I love Swiftkey but I find myself not using it because this process is way too difficult to get the benefit if Ice Cream Sandwich Voice Typing. I love Swoftkey 3 Beta but this needs integration immediately!

• MiguelMiguel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

About 18 months ago I submitted and voted for ideas related to eliminating the need to confirm what I just told Swiftykey to type with my voice. It was never implemented despite making sense. It seems to be a design choice and not really a priority for the Swiftkey team Two clicks are better than one, especially while driving and trying to remain hands-free.

Now, ICS seems to be forcing their hand, since it is so good and easy to use via the stock ICS keyboard. Before even searching for this, I disabled Swiftkey and went back to the stock ICS keyboard because I missed voice dictation.

Just put the mic right on the keyboard and eliminate the need for a long-press and put Swiftkey's settings button somewhere else please! When you do, I'll be back.

• Geoff kietaGeoff kieta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm going back to the stock keyboard until they fix this. Seems like an easy fix after reading the post by Jaime de la torre below. Makes me wonder if this really is a priority.

Feedback and Knowledge Base