How can we improve SwiftKey?

Save, sync, share data and language model (on SD card or via cloud)

EDIT: I've put all "save data on SD card" and "sync language to cloud" requests into one big thread because it seems that you all want the same thing - the ability to put your language profile onto a new device or onto your old device after a reboot.

Previous title: Keep prediction data/stats/habits on SDcard so you dont lose them switching to a new ROM.

One of the reasons android is so popular is the freedom and customization it allows. At the root (pun intended) of that is custom ROMs. Roms like Cyanogen have made it to the Front page of Engadget. They are becoming mainstream and more and more users will by unlocking devices and trying new roms out.

I have been flashing a nightly beta build of a ROM to assist testing for bugs. One of the MAJOR downsides has been losing all of my predictive data. Words it predicted before dont even pop up as a choice until it "re-learns" my typing habits and SMS history. The language file is stored on the SDcard, I dont know why the stats arent also. This way, when a user switches his rom or starts fresh, he still have his SwiftKey data/prediction history.

At the very least, can you tell me where this data/file is stored. Perhaps I can manually back it up and replace it when I change roms.

4,760 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AlpineAlpine shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Daniël Corstanje Daniël Corstanje shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to the cloud  ·   · 
    Iván SánchezIván Sánchez shared a merged idea: backup learned language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: backup learned language to the cloud  ·   · 
    Peleg danielPeleg daniel shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    Shahid ShafqatShahid Shafqat shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    Hüseyin TatHüseyin Tat shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    Ankur SethAnkur Seth shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to the cloud  ·   · 
    CortlandCortland shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    DarkoDarko shared a merged idea: Cloud backup  ·   · 
    JOHN PHANUEL.PJOHN PHANUEL.P shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    Robert Robert shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to Cloud  ·   · 
    Larry Larry shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language  ·   · 
    subzero740subzero740 shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to Cloud  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to Cloud  ·   · 
    Amit PatnaikAmit Patnaik shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    Kevin RaddatzKevin Raddatz shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    AaaaAaaa shared a merged idea: Backup learned language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    Octavian PopOctavian Pop shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Backup to Learned Language to Cloud  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    Hüseyin TatHüseyin Tat shared a merged idea: Backup to Cloud  ·   · 
    Jože JamnikJože Jamnik shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    Craig Craig shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    Nawaf Nawaf shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    Alex BraimanAlex Braiman shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    IlyaIlya shared a merged idea: Backup data to Dropbox  ·   · 
    Vaibhav Vaibhav shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language in the Cloud  ·   · 
    Love SandhuLove Sandhu shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    Raul RojasRaul Rojas shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    maranello69maranello69 shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    HariesHaries shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    Goutham RGoutham R shared a merged idea: Backing up personal dictionary  ·   · 
    Mefodiy Mefodiy shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    Martin ZbMartin Zb shared a merged idea: online accounts to sync remembered words and phrases across different devices  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    Brandon CrawfordBrandon Crawford shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to Cloud  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to cloud  ·   · 
    AliAli shared a merged idea: backup learned language to the cloud  ·   · 
    Jan HeidenreichJan Heidenreich shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to cloud  ·   · 
    Alfred TangAlfred Tang shared a merged idea: Backup all Learned Language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Feature add request  ·   · 
    Bradwin CruzBradwin Cruz shared a merged idea: Backup learned language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    Sergio carrascoSergio carrasco shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to the cloud  ·   · 
    Dave CowenDave Cowen shared a merged idea: backup Learned Language to the cloud  ·   · 
    swrtswrt shared a merged idea: backup learned language to Cloud  ·   · 
    Serdar Serdar shared a merged idea: backup learned language to the cloud  ·   · 
    Serdar Serdar shared a merged idea: backup learned language to the cloud  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: backup Learned Language to cloud  ·   · 
    KyleKyle shared a merged idea: I have swiftkey on my phone also - do the tablet and the phone keyboards learn from each other?  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: SwiftKey on a new Phone  ·   · 
    Sivaram NaveenSivaram Naveen shared a merged idea: Please include a way to backup of our dictionary so that it can be easy to port to newer version while reinstalling or installing a new rom  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: backup learned language  ·   · 
    Yiannis St.Yiannis St. shared a merged idea: Backup and restore (Could)  ·   · 
    Juan Carlos Guzman Juan Carlos Guzman shared a merged idea: backup  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: backup learned languages to cloud  ·   · 
    Petter Petter shared a merged idea: Backup cloud  ·   · 
    Kristaps BasovsKristaps Basovs shared a merged idea: backup to cloud  ·   · 
    Petter Petter shared a merged idea: Backup to cloud  ·   · 
    SherSher shared a merged idea: Cloud account  ·   · 
    JohnJohn shared a merged idea: cloud backup  ·   · 
    Ryan PRyan P shared a merged idea: backup / sync  ·   · 
    Rich StockRich Stock shared a merged idea: backup / sync  ·   · 
    andrevv gandrevv g shared a merged idea: Backup learned language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Backup  ·   · 
    BenBen shared a merged idea: Portable dictionary profile / cloud  ·   · 
    vincenzo Dilillo vincenzo Dilillo shared a merged idea: backup  ·   · 
    easeveseaseves shared a merged idea: Multiple Device Support  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Backup, restore, and share settings with other devices  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: backup  ·   · 
    Boros Zoltán Boros Zoltán shared a merged idea: backup of settings and my predictions, stats, etc.  ·   · 
    AbhinavAbhinav shared a merged idea: backup to cloud  ·   · 
    Roman DolezalRoman Dolezal shared a merged idea: cloud backup of settings and learned language  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: cloud backup of predictions  ·   · 
    MirkoMirko shared a merged idea: Back up My dictionary..  ·   · 
    SorushSorush shared a merged idea: languages backup  ·   · 
    Wojtek Wojtek shared a merged idea: Whole dictionary backup  ·   · 
    TravisTravis shared a merged idea: backup learned language to Cloud  ·   · 
    Haitham Motawee Haitham Motawee shared a merged idea: backup/restore learned language  ·   · 
    Jacopo RumiJacopo Rumi shared a merged idea: Put learned data in the cloud  ·   · 
    Wojtek Wojtek shared a merged idea: Make possibility to backup own dictionary with modified words in oryginal dictionaries,  ·   · 
    stevensteven shared a merged idea: I want to backup my pred. I dont want to lose all the words my keyboard learned  ·   · 
    mark van kleefmark van kleef shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    Kristian Kowsky Kristian Kowsky shared a merged idea: backup to cloud  ·   · 
    Mohammad AlshehriMohammad Alshehri shared a merged idea: cloud backup  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Backup user typing style  ·   · 
    Dops64Dops64 shared a merged idea: Backup of settings / cloud  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: backup / cloud  ·   · 
    Menzi PatrickMenzi Patrick shared a merged idea: Profil abspeichern  ·   · 
    ANAN shared a merged idea: cloud-based learned language  ·   · 
    Chad HallChad Hall shared a merged idea: User Accounts (sync/cloud)  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Backup language data  ·   · 
    ChrissulChrissul shared a merged idea: backup to cloud  ·   · 
    NIKKNIKK shared a merged idea: Sync across multiple devices / cloud sync  ·   · 
    Sebastian Baumann Sebastian Baumann shared a merged idea: the learned data should be able to be saved on a sd-card. than the data can be imported into a new phone, or when a new ROM is installed.  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Backup settings  ·   · 
    hussien khojhussien khoj shared a merged idea: Daily backup dictionary to SD card  ·   · 
    libslibs shared a merged idea: backup Learned Language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    BillBill shared a merged idea: Add a backup option  ·   · 
    PeterPeter shared a merged idea: Backup Learned Language to the Cloud  ·   · 
    david bumpusdavid bumpus shared a merged idea: Backup?  ·   · 
    Jacques AucampJacques Aucamp shared a merged idea: Sync user dictionary data to cloud.  ·   · 
    Giles WestwoodGiles Westwood shared a merged idea: Backup data option as some rom installs require a data partition to be cleared on andorid  ·   · 

147 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • YukiYuki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Me too I want to backup in (and restore from) a file on a storage of MY choice!!!
        This is definitely NOT COMPLETED!

• RyanRyan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+10. It's my data. Let me backup/sync where I want. In your consolidation,no one said we wanted your private cloud. Quite a reach for that interpretation.

• FoeHammerFoeHammer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This isn't "COMPLETED"! We want something OTHER than "swiftkey cloud". I want to use my own dropbox or just transfer the damn file. This is ridiculous.

• RyanRyan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is the cloud the only option, or more so, why do I have to use google's cloud? I have my own cloud accounts. I have local saving as well. I don't use google services unless I have to, and this isn't a situation where we should have to. Many other apps backup and sync through dropbox and other cloud services. Options please.

• ScottScott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

okay, I have been using the beta for a bit and the app isn't remembering my curse words or lots of other items that the old paid for SK used to remember. what's up?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on guys. U have to respond. This is becoming critical. We are requesting for a basic feature for a long time.

• ScottScott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, what is the resolve on this because I routinely need to relearn my predictions all over again! Frustrating to say the least. Why not SD card? What could be difficult about that?

• pblakkpblakk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does SwiftKey backup learnt prediction box data via the Android backup service or must these learnt words be added to the dictionary of the same account first??
        Thanks.

• Antonius Tjindrawan Antonius Tjindrawan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not allow syncing to box or dropbox? Or perhaps the ability to backup and email your prediction database, so we can retrieve it on the other device and import it to SwiftKey? Or perhaps simply allow backing up and copy/paste the prediction database file using a computer.. At least that will allow transferring to a new device. If using multiple device, syncing with box or dropbox is best, or using your own server much like catch or Google drive.. I think this should not be too difficult..

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How hard can this be??! It's been demanded since 2 years. I already lost my data twice and one time was because of a bug in swiftkey. Till they update I'm sticking with swype.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

its been requested since nov 2011. WTF! Moreover, Swiftkey has a bug in which it forgets all the leaned data! This is unacceptable!

• Ronak GandhiRonak Gandhi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 from my side for this feature. I just lost all my personal language data and statistics because I moved between ROMs. Now it needs to relearn everything.

• Spencer RossSpencer Ross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature would be awesome. I dont know "relearning" works, but it never seems to make my predictions more accurate. I just migrated from an Incredible 2 to a Galaxy S4. Part of my migration was backed up the APK/Data in My Backup Pro.

Upon reinstalling to the S4, it only took the APK, not the data. Essentially, I lost all the predictive power from the past 2 years and "relearning" Gmail/FB/Twitter/SMS didn't really make it better..

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hoping for some kind of official update from the devs, even something in the VIP news, and I would like to add my two cents.

I use my phone and my tab quite often, and one device will learn a word, but the other won't until I train it. If there were a cloud sync option that ran in the background and kept both devices up-to-date, I'd be one happy camper. And I also tend to flash new ROMs on my phone semi-regularly.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base