How can we improve SwiftKey?

REMOVE THE SETTINGS KEY

REMOVE THE SETTINGS KEY. It is entirely too common for me to accidentally press it while using SwiftKey. It's a huge annoyance. Having quick access to the settings is entirely unnecessary as people tend to not have reason to constantly access them. There needs to be an option to remove it (along with the voice input) from the keyboard or at least disable it so that it's not a nuisance. a suggestion would be to change it into a custom/common macro key for either commonly used key combinations or possibly custom input of a users most commonly used words or phrases (hearts, smilies, email addresses, user names, etc. Another suggestion, while not as critical, is to resize all the functions keys or give an option to. The function keys being: shift, 123, settings, comma, space, period, question mark, delete, and enter. The reason being is that it's also common to accidentally press those keys when meaning to press another. This is troublesome because SwiftKey throws its predictions out the window when you're inserting caps, spaces, periods, etc in place of a letter. "hVe" is a common typo, for example when trying to write "have." The letters are fine as is because if you press the wrong one, auto correct will generally still guess the right word. If the function keys could be made shorter compared to the normal keys or just made smaller with more empty space around them, then I think this would solve that issue. Finally, while SwiftKey seems to give an option as to what the space bar does (ie completing the current word or inserting a prediction), I don't seem to notice a difference in its functionality. It appears to always insert the predictions. I don't have an example off hand, but sometimes when I type in the correct word I want (meaning all keystrokes were inputted accurately without need for auto correction), it will insert what it predicted rather than what I typed.

593 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Marcus ThomasMarcus Thomas shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Kyle BrandKyle Brand shared a merged idea: Get rid of the settings key  ·   · 
    Karine RivetKarine Rivet shared a merged idea: Remove Settings Key  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: SwiftKey setting key  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Add an option to hide the settings button; replace the number block with the one of the standard keyboard; make the smiley customizeable  ·   · 
    Pedro CorrêaPedro Corrêa shared a merged idea: Remove the SwiftKey buttom.  ·   · 
    BrandonBrandon shared a merged idea: Please take away the bottom left SwiftKey button. I and other people I know hit it too often and it takes up space in an important spot.  ·   · 
    Nate GanttNate Gantt shared a merged idea: Remove the SwiftKey Key on the keyboard.  ·   · 
    Hermes OrdozgoitiHermes Ordozgoiti shared a merged idea: To hice the Swift key  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Remove SwiftKey icon  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Remove swift key shortcut  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: I wish the voice recognition key was it's own key and not also a settings key.  ·   · 
    Justin SherwinJustin Sherwin shared a merged idea: Option to remove the SwiftKey button  ·   · 

41 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DeanSDeanS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

totally agree, does not need to be a primary key. Settings is rare used I would think and is reached other ways, the icon for example

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

DSKDANGOFEQ RQwdfsdiovGEWQ ADS i hate this!!!!!!!! if i want to go to settings...i dont need a shortcut....ill just go into my app. i used the "." button alot and when i click it i always go into my settings...can you remove it and make the other keys larger? you dont have to replace it with anything....JUST GET RID OF IT!!!

• Brad NivBrad Niv commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you assign the settings key to the physical menu button on the phone, the frees up the key to assign for other uses that are more relevant like an edit option /shortcut

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Er, I use the settings key all the time (considering how non-intrusive it is chilling above the second screen button) . What I don't use is the mic icon, I think the real desire here is to be able to custom map key locations. I might want the exclamation mark where the mic is, and the question mark to be the only long press symbol over the period, other people might want to replace the settings menu. Oh and is the setting to remove the mic thing ever going to work?

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't stand hitting the settings key. Especially when I can access those settings by simply opening the app. It needs to be a user setting that allows the settings key to be shown, or removed. Just like I can do with the voice-input key.
        GIVE US THE OPTION TO GET RID OF THIS STUPID KEY!!!! PLEASE.

• Evan TapperAdminEvan Tapper (Admin, SwiftKey) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks, Axel! =) We can't remove the Settings key altogether. It's an issue related to Human Computer Interaction. However, we definitely have been listening to you and recognize the underlying message.

• AxelAxel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for version 3. Finally, the settings key is only a long press on the 123 key. Wasn't too difficult, was it ;-) ? Finally a serious space bar. I'm grateful and will up my ranking to five stars again.

• Suhayb HafizSuhayb Hafiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why can't you just give us the option of disabling the key? The standard ICS keyboard has 5 keys on the bottom row. Yours has 7, causing the spacebar to be very small. Just as the stock android keyboard doesn't have a settings key and provides the user with the ability to remove the voice key, it would be great if SK3 could do the same. Just give us "power users" the option to remove the key if we go deep into settings. Trust us, we will know where to go if we want to change something.

• PeterPeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please remove the key. I hit it only by accident. I didn't even know you could change the settings from there since it seemed so counter intuitive. Keyboard set ups aren't something people are constantly adjusting on such a regular basis. Please please please gone. Otherwise, great keyboard :)

• Alexander SkwarAlexander Skwar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With SwiftKey 3 Beta, I now also feel the pain of not having an easy to reach "," (comma) key. If I have a look on the keyboard, I see that there's one key which I never use (well… I hit it sometimes by accident): It's the settings/swiftkey key.

I don't need it (at least not so prominently there).

Please remove it!

• Nate GanttNate Gantt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any word on this? They rejected it back in February--but I think this has really picked up some traction.

• mconcinamconcina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What I really want is a single-press microphone key, instead of the four-functions SwiftKey.

• Brandon MilnerBrandon Milner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just Now · Delete Completely agree with the other posters. I mistakenly hit the SwiftKey key at least 5x a day and it is maddening. I would rather see the "numbers" key there and have a comma (with perhaps a long press for "? " and "! ") where the current "number" key is. Additionally I'd like to see "?" and "!" get easier access (maybe instead of "$" which I use a 100th as often as a question mark)

• Alexander SkwarAlexander Skwar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also would like this button to be gone. I never use it and it makes the space bar too small, making me enter a "." too quickly.

But I don't get why you're all complaining about the comma ",". I do have a normal comma?!?
        http://imgur.com/wvMa8.png

• David David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think that a dedicated SwiftKey settings button is anything but a nucence on the 'home keyboard', would be better placed within the symbols keyboard.

Running the 3

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

remove the swiftkey key and add a comma, we can find the swiftkey settings easy enough.

• Nate GanttNate Gantt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I'll amend my request.

Place the Symbols key where the SwiftKey button is, have a dedicated comma key for the left thumb, and fix the layout of the symbols section. The layout is radically different from the stock keyboard.

Don't take this as hating on the keyboard. Its purely constructive criticism.

• DougDoug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't remove it, just move it to where it used to be, or let us have the option. Also, I want a dedicated comma for my left thumb. The slide punctuation is fine for "?" and "!" Please give my comma back.

• Johannes HeimbachJohannes Heimbach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same request but I want only to change the SwiftKey button with the symbols. It is easier if the symbol key is always on the same position

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base