Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Denis YurkinDenis Yurkin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  SarahAdminSarah (Support Representative, SwiftKey) responded  · 

In SwiftKey 4 if SwiftKey Flow is enabled you can press and hold the backspace key in order to delete whole words. The speed of deletion accelerates as you continue to hold. If SwiftKey Flow is switched off, you can continue to use the previous slide-to-delete function.

Swiftkey 4 is a free upgrade to users who previous purchased SwiftKey 3. If you have not yet purchased SwiftKey you can get itat 50% off for one week. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AndrewAndrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is marked as complete but it does not work with all apps. Eg. One note.

• Denis YurkinDenis Yurkin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Sarah, I second comment by TheGuyInUrCloset:

@Sarah
        I think it would still be better to be able to tap and hold. The swiping works great if you need to delete a single word or maybe two or three (perhaps better than holding backspace would) but when it comes to deleting entire sentences or possibly even an entire paragraph, it becomes very tiresome to swipe and swipe and swipe. It would be far more comfortable to simply press and hold backspace.

• TheGuyInUrClosetTheGuyInUrCloset commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, +1 to the idea of tap and hold to delete words left of the cursor but double tap and hold to delete the entire word the cursor is on too.

• TheGuyInUrClosetTheGuyInUrCloset commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Sarah
        I think it would still be better to be able to tap and hold. The swiping works great if you need to delete a single word or maybe two or three (perhaps better than holding backspace would) but when it comes to deleting entire sentences or possibly even an entire paragraph, it becomes very tiresome to swipe and swipe and swipe. It would be far more comfortable to simply press and hold backspace.

• Yvette Yvette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

maybe I'm a slow swipper but, it doesn't work and I end up with a bigger mess. I hate this functionality / inability to do a massive delete. Likewise, if I'm typing fast and tap some mysterious code, when I'm just trying to enter line breaks, I get a mess of smileys question marks, then suddenly all is lost. wtf? an "undo " tool would be fantastic!

• Olivier HokkeOlivier Hokke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"If you’d like to delete a whole word you can just swipe right-to-left across your keyboard.
        Thanks."

Noo, this is not always good enough, because then you have to swype word for word. Just using the delete button is much easier for deleting loads of words!!

• ScottScott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Holding it should also delete characters after when you started backspacing too. Like if you deleting part of a sentence and where you started at gets to the start after backspacing, it should keep deleting if you are holding it down.

• Kenny LimKenny Lim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On my Andriod, your tap-and-hold Backspace repeats the word typed instead.

Motorola Defy
        Eclair 2.1
        Swiftkey X Beta

Oops, I was wrong - double-tap followed by Backspace should delete the whole word; tap-and-hold Backspace deletes only whatever on left from cursor, and it's fine.

> swiping left erases one word at a time...

Well, it erases only a part of word left to cursor--leaving the right-hand part unchanged. Ideally it should delete the whole focused word (at least, from my experience with Swype, it is really convenient).

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> Denis / Cathal

Perhaps it isn't exactly what you're looking for, but to erase a few words, swiping left works very well. It erases one word at a time and if you're quick you can very swiftly erase a whole paragraph.

The behaviour you describe would be useful too.

Feedback and Knowledge Base