How can we improve SwiftKey?

Shift key: switch to lower case

Currently, the shift button can switch words to Titlecase, or ALLCAPS. I think it should also be able to switch a word to lowercase.

Example 1:

Hi Max,
How are you?

The word 'How' is in a new line, hence SwiftKey automatically writes it upper-case. But, it's in the middle of a sentence. I want it to be lower case. So I'll have to maneuver the cursor on 'H', remove it, and replace it by a lower case 'h'. That's ridiculously complicated.

Example 2:

Something something to the Max.

I meant to type 'to the max'. But, SwiftKey types 'Max' in Titlecase. Maybe because 'Max' is a frequently used name. However, I want it to be typed in lowercase. Now I have to maneuver the cursor the the letter 'M' and replace it by a lowercase 'm'. Again, ridiculously complicated.

What I want:
I've just typed the letters 'max'. The prediction is 'Max'. When I press shift once, the other predictions become Titlecase. Twice, all predictions become ALLCAPS. Thrice (New), all predictions become lowercase.

I think this would be very useful for many other Situations as well. E.g. usernames, Email addresses, overlap of German and English language (and possibly others), etc...

Please add this functionality to SwiftKey.

404 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    LemmingLemming shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Florian MajdeckiFlorian Majdecki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please note what Lemming and Cherie have laid out so clearly. Whether it's English or German, we really would like to have this functionality. It is not quite enough to make me give up my SwiftKey, but it is a constant annoyance. If implemented, it would be a great productivity enhancer, as it is in swype. Thankyou.

• Florian AlbrechtFlorian Albrecht commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature to one of the next versions. Writing languages with a lot of capital letters (like German) is a pain in the a..

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. This is the only issue I have with this otherwise brilliant keyboard!

• Ben BeallBen Beall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please note what Lemming and Cherie have laid out so clearly. Whether it's English or German, we really would like to have this functionality. It is not quite enough to make me give up my SwiftKey, but it is a constant annoyance. If implemented, it would be a great productivity enhancer, as it is in swype. Thankyou.

• ëRiCëRiC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Among even lower height keyboard, customisable smileys or fill ins and more suggestions this is my main nuisance with SwiftKey! If in any case I want a word to be lower case I can't do that with the current shift capabilities. Actually if (for whatever reason) (there is no arguing about that. People want stuff sometimes..) I want a word at the sentence start to be lower case. I have the options between This, This and THIS. TWO times first letter big! Better than cycling to This twice, or back to This from THIS would be this at the end of the circle.

Simple as that. Voilà. Thanks :{D

• driftinganomalydriftinganomaly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have brought this problem up during beta testing a couple of times and am surprised that it has still not been addressed. I am a linguistically challenged and only speak English, but this is still a serious annoyance for me. I think that it would be for every language.

• David David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important for German and other languages that combine thousands of words into one new word (compound words)! Pls review!

• CherieCherie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! I'm seriously missing this feature which Swype implements so nicely, switching from Initial Caps, ALL CAPS, to all lowercase with each swype from the swype to the shift key. I'm not suggesting to make this action into a flow action, but simply a 3 way toggle push on the shift key like has already been suggested.

• Stefano FolladorStefano Follador commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with you. The impossibility to set lowercase is just painful sometimes.

I use Auto-capitalize option enable because most of the time it is what I need, but when I have to enter a username in a textbox on a web page it is just impossibile. Therefore most of the time my username isn't recognized.

I noted this behaviour happens only on textbox in web page open trough browser, in any other in-app text-box swiftkey recognie them correctly and does not try to auto correct what I enter.

Please fix this by letting us to simple choose lowercase by tapping on the shift key. In my opinion ALL CAPS should be bind to long press of the shiftkey.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think due to the stupid layout on screen, I may have flagged this as inappropriate due to the "read comments" being too close to the "flag inappropriate" link.

Sorry. I hope they realise it's not and after reading!

• LemmingLemming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Keith Bissett:
        It knows both. But, for some reason prefers the capitalized option. I guess after a while it would adjust. Anyway, this is just meant as a simple example. This problem appears to me very frequently for hundreds of different words. Especially in German it is very frequent and very annoying. And currently, it's just too complicated to get a word completely lower-case, if SwiftKey felt it should be Title-case.

Plus, as Julian commented, this would be a great feature for typing usernames and Email addresses, where SwiftKey messes up quite often.

• Keith BissettKeith Bissett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In this particular instance it looks to me like your dictionary knows the word "Max" with a capital "M" but not "max" with a lower case "m". ie. The default dictionary only knows Max as a name.

'Something something to the max' works just fine for me, presumably because I have at some point added lower-case "max" to the dictionary...

• LemmingLemming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Matthew Newton:
        Fair enough, I didn't know that. I'm no native English speaker. Yet, as Dr. Azreal Tod already pointed out, in German it's wrong to start a new line capitalized if it's within a sentence. I just chose English examples because this page seems to be maintained in English.

And please don't get my idea wrong. I don't want to change English grammar. I want to be able to easily lower case words. The first example might be ill chosen, but there are many cases where the default capitalization is wrong. Plus, I want to be able to write correct German. Especially in German it very much depends on the context if a word has to be capitalized or not. E.g. Laden = shop, laden = to load. Currently, SwiftKey is simply unable to handle such cases. Which makes it cumbersome to use for German texts. And I'm pretty sure this issue exists for many other languages.

• Dr. Azrael TodDr. Azrael Tod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Matthew Newton
        You are right about english, but at least in german that IS EXACTLY the propper way of spelling.

If i start a letter, write the greeting, insert comma, newline -> next word is inside the sentence and is not forced to be upper case (except if it's one of the many words that have to be upper case, in german there are a lot more cases of that then in english).

So here the keyboards autocomplete helps AGAINST proper grammar.

• Matthew NewtonMatthew Newton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't agree with the request in example 1 at all. The new line should be capitalized. There's no proper sentence that would work the way you describe, grammatically speaking. If it's a comma followed by a new line (like the greeting of a letter or email) it should be capitalized. The proper way to do what your asking is to use the same line, otherwise it's incorrect anyway. I'd prefer if my keyboard helps with proper grammar, which, in this case, it does. As to number 2, I can agree on that.

• ElaineElaine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can make a word lowercase by pressing the shift key one extra time (3 times total)

• JulianJulian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here. Great suggestion! When typing out usernames, email addresses, or words that should not be capitalized for any reason whatsoever, it would make sense for shift to switch to lowercase.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base