How can we improve SwiftKey?

Typing a web address is a pain

Typing an URL is quite a pain: Www. SwiftKey. Com
It shouldn't be too hard to detect if a user is typing a Web address or an email address and adjust the correct functions accordingly?
Would be appreciated :)

1,527 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    PepijnPepijn shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    BenBen shared a merged idea: Entering urls is a nuisance  ·   · 

Swiftkey now goes into “literal mode” after you have typed @ because it knows you are typing an email address. It will not correct or add spaces after periods.

It will also do this after you type www. because it knows you are trying to type a web address.

Outside of a URL field or an email address box we are currently unable to tell if you are writing an email or a web address before you get to these points.

60 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • LHLH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This drives me insane. I'm sick of fighting SwiftKey just so I can type a URL. URL's don't need www. in front of them and so I almost never use this naming convention. Why should I conform to this rule of using www. with SwiftKey in order to trigger literal mode? There should be an easy way to enter literal mode temporarily when I want to, not when SwiftKey thinks I should be allowed. Really, really annoying. Please fix this.

• Shawn TolleShawn Tolle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you should also go into 'literal mode' if the user types http:// or https:// especially since they are in the predicted text!

• John AldayJohn Alday commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you tell SwiftKey to never suggest Www (when SwiftKey shows Www, hold the suggestion and choose Remove Prediction) it will go in to literal mode when you type www. It's still a little cumbersome if you start a sentence with www since it will automatically capitalize to Www but it's still better than not removing the prediction

• Alan ColonAlan Colon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely need this. I have to switch keyboards whenever I want to text someone a URL, a password.. It took me like 3 minutes to figure out how to text "TaskRabbit.com" cus it kept autocorrecting to "Task Rabbit. Com".

• Scott VinebergScott Vineberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SwiftKey should just be able to recognize the string whateverdomain. Com. Net. Org and then correct it after the fact to be whateverdomain.com

• asparaspar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This does not work at all so far... an option to go into literal mode would be more than apreciated. I need to type URLs (which do not always start with www ) and similar technical information into eMails and texts regularly so this is an absolute necessity for me...

• AprilApril commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What the admin said is not entirely true, and this is clearly still an issue that VERY much needs to be fixed. If the first W is capitalized in www, as soon as I enter the period, it changes Www to Wow. It is SO frustrating, and people are voting and commenting for EVER now, asking for a very simple solution. Please stop resisting and just implement it already!!!

• FUFU commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

so when will you fix this glaring flaw? or allow me to type without changing what i am typing all together. this is something like apple would do. this is not why i chose android

• FUFU commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FFS I HAVE TO FIX EVERY URL. SCREW SWITFKEY I WANT MY MONEY BACK

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Either have an option to switch off the autocorrect for full stops... or please add a user defined option for "literal mode"... users should hopefully be allowed to add letters to the literal mode on the fly

....typing web addresses or an email address such as mr.joe.blogs@somewhere.com is currently extremely painful :(

how about after http:// and how exactly is that hard to detect? I am going back to standard keyboard, truly sorry I increased your revenue. How the hell was this not blatantly obvious on a fking mobile device?

Still no solution to this? I just posted in another forum about this issue. it is truly painful and should be an easy fix.

• Sean LagunaSean Laguna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm nth-ing a raw/literal mode, or the ability to have generic modes/profiles that you can switch between and that have independent settings. Then people can have a raw/literal mode that they create themselves to their own standard, and other modes for typing in certain contexts as well. This would seal the deal for me and swiftkey.

If you can't autodetect when a user wants raw/literal mode, give them the option to swtich to it at will. I'd much rather press a single button to change that setting than try to get swiftkey to predict that I want it via guessing some incantation.

• ntrwebntrweb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that I know it goes into literal mode if I throw and @ symbol in, I start typing anything I need in literal mode with an @ then remove the symbol after. It's still a pain.

• NickNick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On my HTC One, if I compose a SMS, if I put in "www."; it capitalizes the first w and then automatically puts a space after the period. So, at least in that application, the behaviour fix that you described above is not working properly.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base