How can we improve SwiftKey?

Please provide a way to disable Smart Space

SwiftKey used to be my only choice in keyboards, but since version 3 was released, I haven't used it due to the presence of the Smart Space feature. This feature has completely destroyed the usability of the keyboard for me. I do not want the keyboard inserting spaces for me. Please provide an option to disable this functionality.

978 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jeremy MullinsJeremy Mullins shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    El CarumbaEl Carumba shared a merged idea: A simple settings option to disable auto spaces for those that know how to type a space  ·   · 
    Jeremy Jeremy shared a merged idea: toggle smart space  ·   · 
    Rob Davenport Rob Davenport shared a merged idea: make a way to turn off smart space?  ·   · 
    Anthony ScottAnthony Scott shared a merged idea: toggle smart space  ·   · 
    Hugo KruijswijkHugo Kruijswijk shared a merged idea: Smart Space toggle  ·   · 

60 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DJ_ZephyrDJ_Zephyr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Smart space" is the worst enemy of the skilled typist. I can add my own spaces just fine, and it really throws me when my keyboard does things I haven't told it to. Just typing this post was a chore.

• AlexAlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love this feature. It's something SK sorely needs. I have an email address with a "." inside it and having a space automatically inserted makes it hard for me to enter my email in some websites/apps that don't mark the input field as "email".

• Folkdisco Folkdisco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please, give us an option to disable smart (stupid) space. It's way too annoying. You don't reply to emails. You don't respond to requests. I've finally reduced SK3 to 1* on Google Play. If SKX was still available, with sensible language updates, I'd certainly give it 5*. My phone crashed, so I decided to have another go at SK3. But the predictions are worse, the layout is worse, the memory usage is higher, and there's smart (stupid) space all the time, with no option to turn the thing off.

• ufstampaufstampa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To be really a personalized keyboard, there has to be an advance option to turn off this extra space after a period. As a precise typer I don't need an auto space. I'm willing to push space when I intend to. Writing web .com spaces or some code. I look back in the settings to see if it's ever there... Optimized Personal Customization!

• R.S. HughesR.S. Hughes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am sick of forcing SwiftKey to understand that I'm typing an email address. Please allow user to turn off smart space because it's not smart enough. Most the time it's just annoying, the space bar is large enough that I can press it as needed. I am about two "smart spaces" away from uninstalling.

• Charley BCharley B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow! Just got my GS4, and noticed the included "Samsung" keyboard had "SwiftKey flow" in the settings. Upon further inspection...yes, it's pretty much Swiftkey and lo and behold...a checkbox to disable auto space!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really like this keyboard, except for the "Smart Space." I'm sure it's something I could get used to with time, but I feel like it is something that will take more time to get used to than it's worth. Please give us an update that will allow us to disable it if that's what we want. Seems like there is an overwhelming amount of requests for this simple feature, why not just give it to us?

• AbelardoAbelardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely agree. It should be just an option in the settings menu. And I would disable it inmediatly as it spends lots of resources (I mean space in the suggestions bar) in unuseful work. If the bar is the actual, the great key of SwiftKey, and it's there to help by suggesting and correcting, the most of my needs are within a word, not between words. Since the introduction of "smart space" the prediction skills of the keyboard are poorer. Just observe and think.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its annoying. . . please add an option to disable smart spaces Its does not write correct password on many occasions especiall with "!" on Note II

• kongo09kongo09 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm now trying AI type as an alternative, as I'm so fed up with this space issue

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base