How can we improve SwiftKey?

Do not automatically add a space after email addresses, because this will cause problems in a lot of forms. (invalid email address)

2,526 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JonathanJonathan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Add a macro capability for entering your email address. Even better, be able to select from multiple addresses.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Typing an email address is impossible with the auto spacing when you click on the dot  ·   · 
    JCWJCW shared a merged idea: space after email address  ·   · 

80 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Luc FrbežarLuc Frbežar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I start writting my email it automatically suggests the full form of it. OK that's great but it always adds a spacing after the prediction causing forms and other stuff to be invalid.

• Tony Oldershaw Tony Oldershaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It isn't the space after @ that is the issue, it's the space that is auto inserted after using a predicted address which renders the address inadmissible.

• BobBob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a real nuisance with periods in the middle of email addresses and spaces still being added at the end

• yoshyosh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I've already mentioned several times, there are at least three topics, all related to SwiftKey's inadequate space-handling, all of which should be merged, whose total votes far exceed any other request. Also, for the record, this "solution" reported by Sarah doesn't address periods before the @ - which is why this topic can't be closed (but it should be merged)

• dgwdgw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Sarah Reynolds: Since this has been implemented, this idea should be closed and the votes returned to users who voted for it.

• AcillAcill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It still doesnt help when entering info in forms! Im a paid user and I am about to uninstall this keyboard that I love other then the auto space issues. My email is setup like first.name@something.com and it put the first letter capitalized and spaces after it every dang time!!!!!

• PhilPhil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just had my email address rejected because you appended an extra space at its end. Arguably the form should be smart enough to detect that, and in many cases that happens, but better would be that you don't do it in the first place.

• Thomas Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just downloaded SwiftKey from the market, and i am still seeing this in some places. I think the better thin to do would be to not insert a space at all, until another word is entered. Example would be on my banking app, SwiftKey saves my username (which I am ok with) then always inserts a space after it, which I need to backspace. Other examples are in Google+ I will go to + someone, and then insert a question mark at the end because their name is the last word in the question. "Do you think this or that, +xyz person?" That is how I should look. But with SwiftKey, the question looks like this: "Do you think this or that, +xyz person ?"

If I try to backspace the space, then the + feature breaks and so the person isn't tagged on the post, but with other keyboards and in fact even the Android keyboard, I can put the question mark immediately after the person that I mentioned, without a space.

• Andreas TothAndreas Toth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This change, by the way, doesn't excite me one iota. I'm not shifting back until proper handling of space has been implement without all these layers of hacks to make typing appear "smarter". There's no smarter than KISS.

• Andreas TothAndreas Toth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fixes like this are still not enough. My Gmail e-mail address, for example, has two full-stops BEFORE the @ symbol. Being able to fully disable auto-spacing is the only solution.

• Charley BCharley B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

oh no worries. Thanks. I keep checking back on SwiftKey because the prediction was what I missed. A I type seems to have a lot of wonderful features that even SwiftKey did not possess and I have been using that for a while now.

• Bogdan SBogdan S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Charley B - I got the update on my phone, but the bug I complain about is still present.
        Anyway, given the slow update pace, I assume the code has reached a point where fixing a bug creates 2 more, and they prefer to play safe, so I don't really expect too many improvements in the future, only bugfixes.
        Probably it's the moment to move on to another keyboard, as others suggested.

• Charley BCharley B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YaY. It's a start, albeit a small one. Only problem is now, the new keyboard I'm using has things like emoji and graphics and all sorts of other nice little goodies that I'm not sure SwiftKey actually supports :-( but Bogdan is correct, it's the space at the END of the email address that's even more frustrating than the one after the '@'. When will the update for this be pushed out to all users? I haven't seen it yet.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base