How can we improve SwiftKey?

Make the spacebar longer

The spacebar needs to be longer because I keep hitting the period when pressing the spacebar.

2,910 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Antonio EdmondsAntonio Edmonds shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Rmallick6806@gmail.comRmallick6806@gmail.com shared a merged idea: Please give us an option to lengthen the spacebar by getting rid of the period or question mark operators. Its all Im looking for.  ·   · 
    CarlosCarlos shared a merged idea: By making the space bar wider or thicker because ever time i try and press space I press period  ·   · 
    Fffg32Fffg32 shared a merged idea: Remove full stop  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: wider spacebar  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: The space bar could be longer  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: I wish the space bar was wider in portrait mode  ·   · 
    Paul John PeñaPaul John Peña shared a merged idea: longer spacebar  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Make the space bar take the whole bottom of the key board  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: bigger spacebar  ·   · 
    Kevin Kevin shared a merged idea: Are way to make the space bar longer.  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Increase the length of the space bar.  ·   · 
    Ian TaitIan Tait shared a merged idea: longer spacebar  ·   · 
    Nicholas A.Nicholas A. shared a merged idea: Remove the bottom row (.)  ·   · 
    abzabz shared a merged idea: wider spacebar  ·   · 
    DannyDanny shared a merged idea: Leertaste vergrößern und Punkt erst mit 2 mal tippen setzen  ·   · 
    DahevosDahevos shared a merged idea: Remove dot button  ·   · 
    BeckyBecky shared a merged idea: longer spacebar  ·   · 
    FilipeFilipe shared a merged idea: New (and big) space bar.  ·   · 
    Taylor Taylor shared a merged idea: Spacebar larger  ·   · 
    jwahkanjwahkan shared a merged idea: hide/remove the period key ".".  ·   · 
    Héctor Héctor shared a merged idea: Tener la opción de eliminar el punto del lado de la barra espaciadora  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: wider spacebar  ·   · 
    SeanSean shared a merged idea: Make space bar wider  ·   · 
    Wade Wade shared a merged idea: Space bar.  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Option to remove "? /! " key. I use my right thumb to space and i hit the period a lot.  ·   · 
    Jeremy wittkoppJeremy wittkopp shared a merged idea: I wish I could change the lay out manually.. Like I want to make the space bar bigger and I want the backspace key to be in the bottom left  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Make the. auto predict windows smaller and Widen the spacebar on portrait mode so the period isn't hit all the time  ·   · 
    TroffersTroffers shared a merged idea: Bigger space bar & numbers all on top row  ·   · 
    DeliaDelia shared a merged idea: La barra espaciador debe ser más grande... Frecuentemente se presiona el punto al usar la barra  ·   · 
    LPS LPS shared a merged idea: Grotere spatiebalk  ·   · 
    Patrick WuPatrick Wu shared a merged idea: Allow the option to omit certain keys on bottom row (i.e. comma or question mark) and increase spacebar length  ·   · 
    cristiano cristiano shared a merged idea: ad new themes and Long the tast space  ·   · 
    Gabriele Di MaioGabriele Di Maio shared a merged idea: More themes and a bigger space bar  ·   · 
    Serkan TeSerkan Te shared a merged idea: More settings  ·   · 
    Bashir Kragh-MüllerBashir Kragh-Müller shared a merged idea: Space  ·   · 
    Paul KellettPaul Kellett shared a merged idea: Can the spacebar be made wider?  ·   · 
    Bryan CottonBryan Cotton shared a merged idea: Keyboard customization...  ·   · 
    Roger BowmanRoger Bowman shared a merged idea: Long press spacebar for question mark.  ·   · 
    AndreaAndrea shared a merged idea: Remove the.. And? Keys since I often press them instead of the space key.  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Option to remove the period key on the right of the space  ·   · 
    SalSal shared a merged idea: I would like it if we could make the space bar bigger, always hitting the period button by mistake, thanks you.  ·   · 
    Fernando. Fernando. shared a merged idea: A larger space bar!  ·   · 
    Timothy delgado Timothy delgado shared a merged idea: make the spacebar longer - we've been waiting.  ·   · 
    JerJer shared a merged idea: Hide punctuation keys to prevent accidental presses and to make a bigger spacebar  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Make. The spacsbar wider because. I keep. Hitting the full stop rather than space otherwise very good :)  ·   · 
    LucaLuca shared a merged idea: We need a bigger space button! I always digitate ". "  ·   · 
    Noojan MazaheriNoojan Mazaheri shared a merged idea: Could you please make the spacebar bigger (in landscape mode), i constantly hit other keys and it gets very irritating....  ·   · 
    Felix cieplikFelix cieplik shared a merged idea: Options to remove the "., and? " next to the spacebar because its to Small and i often type a ". " instead of the spacebar  ·   · 
    Hussam El - khawaga Hussam El - khawaga shared a merged idea: option to remove the voice button  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Change/create an option for the period key/others to make spacebar bigger! Please! So.Many. Periods.....  ·   · 
    Mark Faber Mark Faber shared a merged idea: I'd love to be able to resize of reposition the spacebar key. This would reduce the number of times I hit the period key by mistake.  ·   · 
    Marco BragliaMarco Braglia shared a merged idea: Android standard layout and BIGGER spacebar  ·   · 
    JulesJules shared a merged idea: Ioften press the '.' key instead of 'space'. Could you make spacebar longer?  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Please add an option to make the space bar larger  ·   · 
    Marius NituMarius Nitu shared a merged idea: In the menu you can add an option to enlarge the spacebar which is really small  ·   · 
    JMMyersJMMyers shared a merged idea: Spacebar  ·   · 
    lucaluca shared a merged idea: Hi...I've bought your keybord...it's fantastic...but I've a terrible problem with last line..there are too much buttons.. and often I push "  ·   · 
    JanJan shared a merged idea: Please take off the arrows if i have the display on the hightt off. And make a bigger spacebar. Thx Jan  ·   · 
    Mohammad alamMohammad alam shared a merged idea: Increase spacebar size  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Keyboard layout the spacebar needs to be longer as not to mistyped with dot or comma  ·   · 
    EvelynEvelyn shared a merged idea: Keyboard options  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Increase the size of spacebar key  ·   · 
    AlbertAlbert shared a merged idea: The question mark makes me fail to with a. Dot every. Time I try. to space  ·   · 
    Nathan WendrickNathan Wendrick shared a merged idea: Larger spacebar  ·   · 
    AnthonyAnthony shared a merged idea: Better space bar  ·   · 
    KevinKevin shared a merged idea: Larger space key in browser  ·   · 
    MarianoMariano shared a merged idea: The ability to move (right-left) and maybe resize the space bar  ·   · 
    Troels Plougmann OlsenTroels Plougmann Olsen shared a merged idea: Maybe the old topic has gone missing in your system? Make the spacebar wider.  ·   · 
    Chris Rutledge Chris Rutledge shared a merged idea: Add option to remove the period button. Replace with double tap space bar option maybe?  ·   · 
    Andrew VarkonyiAndrew Varkonyi shared a merged idea: PLEASE move the period somewhere else. I always hit it when I mean to hit space, and this is a common complaint.  ·   · 
    Hayati AkbasHayati Akbas shared a merged idea: SPACE BAR SIZE  ·   · 
    Tyler McNaughton Tyler McNaughton shared a merged idea: It would be Great if you could make it the period and comma keys could be hidden enabling a larger spacebar.  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Make the period and the question mark optional on the main keyword screen  ·   · 
    Vincent Ramirez Vincent Ramirez shared a merged idea: Period Key  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: The ability to combine period and comma to make the space bar larger. Remove mic key  ·   · 
    JimmyJimmy shared a merged idea: Option to disable and remove the setting/voice key for more space for a longer space bar.  ·   · 
    PtPt shared a merged idea: Need longer spacebar  ·   · 
    PtPt shared a merged idea: Need longer spacebar, make bottom alt keys smaller instead  ·   · 
    MarkMark shared a merged idea: Maybe it's just me but i think the space bar is either too small or the period button is too close bc i hit it all the time when i dont want  ·   · 
    JuliaJulia shared a merged idea: The spacebar is too small, and I accidentally hit "." all the time.  ·   · 
    Alexandre de BoutrayAlexandre de Boutray shared a merged idea: Dotkey removing  ·   · 
    RayRay shared a merged idea: Longer spacebar and adjustable keyboard height  ·   · 
    Roger BowmanRoger Bowman shared a merged idea: Make settings/voice button a preference to suppress so as to provide more room for spacebar  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Make space bar bigger (combine with .com button and long press space for .com)  ·   · 
    Gopal SrinivasanGopal Srinivasan shared a merged idea: Widen Space Bar  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Bigger space bar and customizable bottom row most people don't use punctuation while texting  ·   · 
    IsaacIsaac shared a merged idea: Larger space bar  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Too easy to press the period  ·   · 
    HaolunHaolun shared a merged idea: An option to disable SwiftKey button so spacebar will be longer.  ·   · 
    Qw ertyQw erty shared a merged idea: Poor key sizes  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: I would like to be able to turn the period key "." off.  ·   · 
    Ryan SawadichaiRyan Sawadichai shared a merged idea: Make spacebar wider by combining punctuation  ·   · 
    PabloPablo shared a merged idea: Bigger space key, or at least customizable!  ·   · 

320 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BloopBloop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, SwiftKey you guys have the best keyboard. But, we need an option to increase the size of the space bar. That darn period button gets me 50% of the time.

• Cameron ScottCameron Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see an option to increase the gap between the bottom row (in particular, the space bar) of keys and the bottom of the screen as a fixed position (not just floating the whole board). I continually hit the capacitive buttons while trying to hit the space bar and end of going HOME or MENU or BACK. "Smart Keyboard" has this option, and it is great--but it doesn't have "flow"...

• Neal MadlaniNeal Madlani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Couldn't agree more with this, am constantly hitting the period button! Don't need such a big button for period and comma.

• JennBeeJennBee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The spacebar is still way too short. There's a ton of room, it's July 2014 and I literally cannot type without constantly hitting the period instead of the spacebar. I don't know what the problem is because the keyboard looks identical on my current phone (Nokia Lumia 920) to my old phone (Samsung Focus) and I never had this issue. Not even remotely. I don't know if the punctuation buttons are too sensitive, but as a serial texter, something has to be done.

• Nathanial BaumsteigerNathanial Baumsteiger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The space bar needs to be extended even more to the right than in the update v. 3. Carriage return should be the same size as the period, essentially moving the period over to the right. It would also be nice if the space bar were slightly taller. Especially important on smaller screens.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please please please swap the default smiley/enter key when texting. Currently default is the smileys. When I hit enter, I get a friggin smiley! Drives me crazy. Am I the only one that presses the enter key when texting???

• driftinganomalydriftinganomaly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should check out the new beta. The Spacebar is much larger. Getting rid of the period (full stop) with the double space feature will only work at the end of a sentence. It will not work for abbreviations or decimals. It also triggers auto capitalization, so if it is used for anything besides a full stop, it will create capitalization errors as well.

You can get the beta here:

http://vip.swiftkey.net/index.php?/topic/4281-30th-may-update-to-swiftkey-3-beta/

• Darryl NortonDarryl Norton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Merge the period and question mark keys together, like they were in the beta...and remove the Swiftkey quick settings key. This should help open up some screen real estate for a longer spacebar.

• Johnny G MillsJohnny G Mills commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just switched from the beta to swiftkey X and I find it a bit of a misleading ad on your part...
        My keyboard is completely different now, while I just took the time to adjust to swiftkey beta...

I understood from previous comments that a release date is unknown.. But I would love the functionality to be present... As if predictions were not disabled in the beta! The annoying pop-up said: "upgrade for predictions" and not:"upgrade predictions and be forced to a different keyboard.. "

I uninstalled the beta as the X installer nicely cleans.. Should I have kept the beta install? We're predictions activated again and did I simply misunderstood?

Sincerely,
        an admirer of the product?

• cynthiacynthia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Galaxy 5 had a different keyboard that is now different. The space bar is too small that i keep pressing the period and to go from numbers to letters is totally different. I didn't change any settings how did this happen

• Disappointed UserDisappointed User commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was using. Beta and loved the longer spacebar. I got a message to purchase he full version, and I did. Now I'm using Swiftkey X and it seems like the longer spacebar and the longpress punctuation key is gone? Am I missing something, or have the awesome new features been removed?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 14 15

Feedback and Knowledge Base