How can we improve SwiftKey?

Option to disable auto-space after punctuation and/or prediction

Add an option to disable automatic space after completing a word in flow. Instead add space after I have either chosen a suggestion is state typing a new word This way I could choose the proper suggestion much faster or need be correct my previous typing.

9,609 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Clemens Hirsch Clemens Hirsch shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Disable space after punctuation  ·   · 
    DanDan shared a merged idea: Can you allow disablement of Auto-0correct / Prediction Auto-replace?  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Give me the option to turn auto-spacing COMPLETELY OFF.  ·   · 
    Cristian IonescuCristian Ionescu shared a merged idea: DISABLE THE F... ING AUTOSPACING !!!!  ·   · 
    Ian EngelbrechtIan Engelbrecht shared a merged idea: Option to disable space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Give me an option to turn off adding a space after every period.  ·   · 
    Aleks GAleks G shared a merged idea: Disable space after punctuation  ·   · 
    AndrisAndris shared a merged idea: No space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Martin H. Martin H. shared a merged idea: turn off spacing after punctuation  ·   · 
    AndyAndy shared a merged idea: Remove space after punctuation  ·   · 
    JimJim shared a merged idea: Turn off space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Sf be fSf be f shared a merged idea: Toggle space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Jack DyerJack Dyer shared a merged idea: Option to disable automatic space after punctuation  ·   · 
    Vincenz DregerVincenz Dreger shared a merged idea: Option to disable automatic spaces after punctuation  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: toggle space after punctuation  ·   · 
    AdreannaAdreanna shared a merged idea: toggle space after punctuation  ·   · 
    JeffreyJeffrey shared a merged idea: Option to disable automatic space after period  ·   · 
    smudgersmudger shared a merged idea: Turn off all autospace after punctuation (option)  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Disable auto spacing  ·   · 
    EpicNewtEpicNewt shared a merged idea: toggle space after punctuation/prediction  ·   · 
    Erik HamarsåErik Hamarså shared a merged idea: Option to disable auto-space after punctuation and/or prediction  ·   · 
    under review  ·  Sarah ReynoldsAdminSarah Reynolds (Support Representative, SwiftKey) responded  · 

Hi everyone,

This issue is something we’ve thought about on many occasions, as it would definitely simplify some of the typing use cases.

One of the primary problems is that people often build words by selecting the root or prefix and then adding a suffix. For instance, if I want the word “predicting” I might select “predict”, then add the “ing”. In this case, if you add space before a prediction, there’s no way of knowing if the user intended to start the next word or add to the selected word.

In the absence of a space after a prediction, a user whose cursor was next to the end of a word would not know if the predictions/corrections that they saw related to the word they are currently “in”, or to the next word.

There may be a way to solve this problem via probabilistic modelling, but it’s definitely non-trivial. We’ll be thinking about it.

859 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why don't you guys just put an option,instead of saying bla bla. Those who want can use it,others can disable it! This very pathetic that you guys didnt added for such a looooong time.

• cediverscedivers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do a lot of python coding and file manipulation on my phone.
        A space after every dot makes my life a nightmare, for instance when I try to correct a script or even just rename a file... I'm about to uninstall the app... please give us the option to make SwiftKey write what we type: no less, no more!

• DJ_ZephyrDJ_Zephyr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We don't want you to THINK about it, we want you to DO it. Give us a button that disables auto-spacing (ALL auto-spacing, after words AND after punctuation) and makes the board type what we tell it to, not what some stupid algorithm THINKS we're telling it to. I'll add my own spaces, thak you very much.

• Curtis FrazierCurtis Frazier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do what Swype does. If you Swype from the Swype symbol to the backspace key, it doesn't insert a space before the next word. Why do you guys insert a <space> after the '$' sign anyway? That needs to be turned off.

As previously stated, in other languages apart from English (I'm Swedish), we don't want the space after words. Why not have it as a choice?

• RichRich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The automatic space after each word makes this app unusable, especially in other languages than english.

I agree. Typing in URLs or sometimes making little faces like "._." is incredibly frustrating. Not to mention that after putting a period at the end of a text or something gets annoying too because there is always an extra space that I have to delete.

Make an efficiency counter to count how many times auto space made me retype or use backspace

• Perry KahaiPerry Kahai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sarah, the situation you describe does not make sense to me. But here's what makes sense (and I see it in many comments): Spacing and Prediction are two totally unrelated features. People (including me) are having problems because you have merged them into one option. One should never try to merge two mutually-exclusive features.

• MarkMark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like it that it inserts a space after a period or comma... sometimes. I like the feature until I start typing an email address or Url. Any other time is good and appreciated.

• Sheridan VespoSheridan Vespo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can a company that prides itself with workplace awards be so ignorant towards their customers?
        This request has been open for a loooong time and all we got was a response that is 5 months old as of now, which also misses the point. Shame on you Sarah and shame on SwiftKey!
        This is the second most requested feature, please go ahead and find a solution already!

To address Sarah's concerns:
        People DO (as you said) "often build words by selecting the root or prefix and then adding a suffix". You got that right, but your example is BS. You are implying that selecting "predict" and then adding "ing" would work well, but this is exactly the case that we are complaining about. If you did exactly that, you would need to hit backspace to delete that one space added in between.
        THen you continue talking about what would happen if you added the space BEFORE a prediction, which, as you correctly pointed out, makes not much sense.

We do not want spaces AT ALL! There is no question of whether before or after predictions would be better, the question is to remove them entirely!

But there is more: You continue with the case that we actually request: no spaces. You then say, that the user would not now whether displayed predictions are for the completion of the current word, or for a new word.

I disagree.

If you are at the end of one word, the predictions would ALWAYS be for the current word (i.e. possible suffixes). If you hit space now, you get a space and you obviously want a new word, so you get new word predictions. Is that so hard?
        If a user specifically disabled auto-spacing, I am sure he is willing to hit space once to get to the new word predictions. Please don't worry, that you might put a little stain on the oh-so-perfect typing stats with swiftkey, if a user needs one extra button press. We want that one button press and are o.k. with it.

Please do your part!

• Adrian BjugårdAdrian Bjugård commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh and of course, the ability to disable automatic correction of words when I press a punctuation character, as it messes up anything related to programming.

• Adrian BjugårdAdrian Bjugård commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about a settings panel "Enable automatic space after:" and then combo boxes:
        "Prediction"
        "Punctuation"

Wouldn't that almost completely solve the issue here?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 42 43

Feedback and Knowledge Base