How can we improve SwiftKey?

Typing a web address is a pain

Typing an URL is quite a pain: Www. SwiftKey. Com
It shouldn't be too hard to detect if a user is typing a Web address or an email address and adjust the correct functions accordingly?
Would be appreciated :)

1,644 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    PepijnPepijn shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    BenBen shared a merged idea: Entering urls is a nuisance  ·   · 
    started  ·  SarahAdminSarah (Support Representative, SwiftKey) responded  · 

Swiftkey now goes into “literal mode” after you have typed @ because it knows you are typing an email address. It will not correct or add spaces after periods.

It will also do this after you type www. because it knows you are trying to type a web address.

Outside of a URL field or an email address box we are currently unable to tell if you are writing an email or a web address before you get to these points.

80 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Eri IndrawanEri Indrawan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just disable auto correction when entering the dot. But when user press spacebar (or another dot) after the dot, Swiftkey will auto correct the word before the dot.
        Please add an option setting to do this, or just give me your source code.. :P

• David ClarkDavid Clark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have removed Swiftkey because of this problem. My suggestion would be to have a button under the long press Swiftkey button in the bottom left of the keypad to turn on literal input (i.e. do not auto-correct!).

• JustinJustin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been using SwiftKey for months but I have finally had enough! Try loading a spreadsheet with 500+ email addresses... SwiftKey will make me go insane! A button to go into litteral mode before I type an email or URL would take away alot of frustration!

• Scott WichallScott Wichall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am getting quite frankly fed up with this. Even typing my own email address into a web form in the browser, and SwiftKey screws it up. And I paid for this bloody thing and I don't give a **** about themes.

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idea has been listed for over a year, it's not likely to be fixed. As I do type Web addresses and IP addresses quite often, and this issue us very frustrating, I'll be switching to another keyboard. Hacker KB is good.

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you don't get it working how it should, disable it until you can get it right.

• JPJP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every time you start a new sentence with a URL start off with LOWER CASE as swiftkey defaults to capitals at the start of a sentence!! Www is wrong IT grammar so therefore triggering the annoying Www. Google. Com. Au

Your welcome!

• Tenash MoulinTenash Moulin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add some button to quickly go into "liteleral mode" where. writing domain/url/email/ip is painful with swiftkey

• James CampbellJames Campbell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's no excuse for this still being a problem. Congratulations for the update that monetises themes, but your product is still fundamentally broken for anyone that types a URL.

• Jack GarnhamJack Garnham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely cannot believe that this is still an issue. "Woooo, we've got loads of themes, but our keyboard is still fundamentally broken!"
        I'm glad I never paid for Swiftkey. I ended up here while looking for a solution. I honestly thought that there was some option I was missing but it seems not. It's infuriating when typing an email address in a general text field.

• John GoodmanJohn Goodman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on SwiftKey, you have had lots of sensible suggestions to fix this and plenty of time, during which other keyboards have caught up with you. I will be switching to Google's default keyboard and won't consider switching back until you fix this.

support.swiftkey.net - with Google keyboard
        support. SwiftKey. Net - with SwiftKey
        abe.cox@swiftkey.net - with Google keyboard
        Abe. Cox@swiftkey.net - with SwiftKey

Both keyboards support swipe and predictions but Google's keyboard does not insert a space after every period. It waits until it's sensible to do so.

• Wyn TermuteWyn Termute commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I entered a website address to a friend on yahoo messenger tonight, and SwiftKey still inserted spaces after the www. et al., and it also capitalized the first w.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This it literally the one thing that makes SwiftKey useless.

Fix it ffs, it's not THAT hard.

• goldieloxgoldielox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This suggestion has been here since Oct 2012 and nothing has been done?? Come on developers, what are you doing? This is supposed to be the best alternative keyboard available and in this day and age where there is so much talk about the Internet and websites, we can't even type a URL without wanting to smash up our phones with a lump hammer!

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base