How can we improve SwiftKey?

Easier way to change language / language switcher

I usually use 3 languages: Spanish, Catalan and English, and it's not suitable to have enabled all 3 because predictions are not very fast or they are not in the wanted language. (and it get worst with Spanish and Catalan, because they have a lot of similar words) and it's uncomfortable to go to languages and keyboards everytime I chat or send an email to my different contacts.

It would be great to change the language in use just holding space, or with a key, or making swiftkey remembering the language used for each contact,...

1,265 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Pedro Abalos GarciaPedro Abalos Garcia shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: language switcher  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: language switcher  ·   · 
    TatoTato shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    Michael Michael shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    ievsdomaievsdoma shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    ievsdomaievsdoma shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    Jaime Jaime shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    Abdel Gomez PerezAbdel Gomez Perez shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    LorisLoris shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    Luigi LacerenzaLuigi Lacerenza shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Language switcher  ·   · 
    Obadia MemúnObadia Memún shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Language switcher  ·   · 
    Lior MesiLior Mesi shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    Paul VinellPaul Vinell shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    John John shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    YuriYuri shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    Sal MarchicaSal Marchica shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    TomTom shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    Miki Solomonov Miki Solomonov shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    PhilPhil shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    Przemyslaw BobnisPrzemyslaw Bobnis shared a merged idea: Language switcher  ·   · 
    Mike Mike shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    Alin FilipAlin Filip shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    Markus Markus shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    NinoNino shared a merged idea: language switcher  ·   · 
    VsevolodVsevolod shared a merged idea: language switcher  ·   · 
    LuisLuis shared a merged idea: Language switcher  ·   · 
    Roberto Guerrero Roberto Guerrero shared a merged idea: language switcher  ·   · 
    Francisco Francisco shared a merged idea: language switcher  ·   · 
    CLTCLT shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    Horacio ChagasHoracio Chagas shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    BalpBalp shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    CarlosCarlos shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    Levente RévészLevente Révész shared a merged idea: Language switcher key  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Change Language Key / Language Switcher  ·   · 
    Sascha Sascha shared a merged idea: Switch Languages Key  ·   · 
    RSRS shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    MarioMario shared a merged idea: Swipe on space bar to switch languages  ·   · 
    3dfactor3dfactor shared a merged idea: Add an option to separate dictionary usage depending on the language you chose to type in.  ·   · 
    Sinclair E.N.Sinclair E.N. shared a merged idea: Language Switcher  ·   · 
    Petru Rares SincraianPetru Rares Sincraian shared a merged idea: Button to change the lenguage  ·   · 
    Thomas RegnierThomas Regnier shared a merged idea: Add quick link to change the input language. Either an additional function for the "settings" keypad or Android style by swiping along space  ·   · 
    started  ·  Eric ShawAdminEric Shaw (Head of Community, SwiftKey) responded  · 

Update 5/28/14
    Looks like this feature is being worked on internally. I am not aware of the timeframe, but this has become part of the roadmap. Stay tuned.

Update 4/30/14
    Thanks for the follow up everyone. I think this is a good idea, and you all have helped me fully understand the need as well as provided several potential solutions. I will take this to the Design and Product teams and see if we can get it onto the roadmap. Obviously I cannot make any promises towards feasibility or timing, but I believe this could be a valuable addition to the product.

Update 4/28/14
    Hi everyone, thanks for all of you taking the time to vote and give feedback. Currently the way things work for language selection is, as we have so many, we cannot have all languages “running” that are not enabled. For those languages that use a different keyboard, when you download one, in the “languages” settings area, if you click on the mini-keyboard option, you can select the keyboard layout to use. If there is more than one keyboard layout enabled, there is a slider on the space bar that lets you select the keyboard layout / language you are typing in. When using only 1 layout, the keyboard is predicting words based on the different languages you have enabled, and its best prediction from the input.

Just to understand the problem better, is the suggestion that regardless of keyboard layout, there is interest in switching languages only with a swipe gesture on the keyboard, and to not have the keyboard predict words in other languages? Many users love and use regularly the fact that SwiftKey will predict in multiple languages, so this is not something that we can change. The only real solution to a problem for this would be an option for disabling multiple language predictions, and manual switching between languages.

If this is an important issue to you, please only respond in the forum thread, and NOT via email. If I understand correctly, then I will make sure this suggestion gets surfaced into the correct team so it can be evaluated.

142 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • chrischris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use swiftkey in Spanish and English. Yes having the prediction come up based on either language is very useful. It's just that sometimes it won't predict correctly. The previous version I had allowed me to swipe the spacebar left/right to switch the (preferred?) language moving forward or only for a single word or whatever. What happened to that feature? It is no longer there. It seemed to work well.

That being said... if I had to be stuck in a single language and just swipe to switch when I want to insert whatever word in the other that would be preferred. It's the wrong language predictions (and not being able to force it to proper language) that makes it difficult.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As said, mixing predictions of some languages makes it increasingly bad. Many romance languages together is such a case: French, Spanish and Portuguese together makes a very bad mix.

It would be nice to have an option to select a language or (custom) group of languages (not like it is today based on keyboard layout), and to be able to disable predictions outside these languages. In other words: if I choose 'en' on the space bar, then it's English only; if I set 'fr', just French; if 'fr/es' then it is French and Spanish at the same time.

Also, even if I disable a language, I still get 'Replace' options of that language. I disabled English, and if I choose 'Replace', I get a list full of English words and phrases.

• Wilson Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will be an asset if I can change to another keyboard directly from within SwiftKey (a shortcut key) this will allow me to use the Chinese keyboard...

• Mihai ȘucanMihai Șucan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What i thought of is the option of language pairs. For example i mostly write English and Romanian. These two work well together - no problem with having them enabled at the same time.

Sometimes I want to write in French, German and Arabic. If I enable the third language French, in SwiftKey suggestions and swiping become poor.

I would like to have language pairs where my default payout would be English and Romanian, then French and German. French and German ate sufficiently different as well so offering predictions and swiping in both languages at the same time would work well.

Offer the option to switch between languages pairs/groups by long pressing on space or swiping on the space key.

Allow us to have languages separated as well. Some people just want English, Romanian, etc individually. So they can quickly switch between the languages they write in.

Please also keep the option to write in multiple languages at the same time. The way SwiftKey works now is really great for typing in 2-3 languages. It's a real time saver to not switch between English and Romanian every time I need to write in the two languages. The stock keyboard was annoying having to switch very often.

Thank you.

• Erling BallestadErling Ballestad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Easy swicthing is not necessarily the option I'm looking for. I would be more than happy if it was easier to enable/disable a few selected languages. For example in the quick-settings menu.
        I write mostly in norwegian, but quite a lot in English as well, and sometimes swedish. Having Norwegian and English enabled at the same time makes typing slower as many preditions are in the wrong language. So i often end up typing a few English words with only norwegian enabled.

After I got Kit Kat on my sony I have switched to the default keyboard as it is easier to use in some ways.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use regularly more then three languages so what I'm really hoping for would be a quicker way to switch between the languages. Three is just not enough (and it's obvious to me that too many languages turned on make it harder to guess) and I need to switch on daily basis.

• shawn sandhushawn sandhu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use two languages and I find that sometimes it won't seem to find the word that I am actually intending because there are simply too many options for it to chose from. I can see how having multiple languages would benefit some people but I think having the ability to turn that option off and quickly switch between languages instead would be a lot more beneficial for others.

• languagepenguinlanguagepenguin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use more than 3 languages on my phone. I actually like the multiple language prediction for 3 languages, however I would like an option to quick disable and enable another language instead of going to the menu and then to the language settings. There's already quick access to keyboard size, which I don't need. Is there any way to implement quick language access?

• Francisco Francisco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hi.
        eitehr the app predicts your langauge, or you manually switch it. but sometimes it is difficult to get the right word when you have so many predictions in different langauges popping up
        I regularly write in 4 to 5 languages: PT, EN, IT, FR and ES (I am european) and it would make a huge difference for me to have:
        1) ability to quickly switch from one language to another
        2) switch off suggestions from other languages to make the prediction even snappier.
        that's all.
        regards

• Michael Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi everybody.

I find it really great that my idea got so much feedback.
        Living daily with several languages at the same time is not easy, you guys out there know what I mean. My wife is Spanish, my parents german and all Internet search I do in English.

I call it "Sprachcacao";-)

Thanks to the SwiftKey team to listen to our suggestions.

Enjoy everybody.

• Sam MilesSam Miles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should predict only in the language you are writing.
        Swiftkey should be able to detect the language that you switched to and only provide predictions in that language and not all the words in the database - that just not user friendly and does not make any sense.

Perhaps it would be easier if it had separate prediction databases for each language? This way if I am writing in say French and use a few English words, it would know that.

• MM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for bringing it up to the drawing board, pro tip, keep it enabled by default (As it is) and add a note once it is released, since we here would love the change, some others might rather keep it the way it is and would be confused once it is released.

• PhiPhi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When this feature gets implemented, I'll use swift key again. Until then, I'm using TouchPal. Get at me.

• OlgaOlga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I would love to be able to disable multiple language predictions. Many languages share a lot of words and the prediction gets worse because SwiftKey gets confused. I have switched to Swype (bought both) because they have this feature. I will switch back when SwiftKey gets it.

• Lukáš CermanLukáš Cerman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, I also use two languages, Czech and English, but (almost) never both in the same message, so having both enabled at the same time just distracts the predictions. I would appreatiate one of the following:

(1) there is a quick available manual language swich, e.g., long holding of spacebar, etc..

(2) SwiftKey starts with all my laguages (i.e., Czech and English) enabled and once I wrote couple of words it would learn what language I am typing and will turn the other language(s) off (hmm for the case of failures there still might be a manual switch to override the automated decission)

• MM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should be optional, I write in Spanish, English, Portuguese and Russian, the three first languages share the default keyboard, making it quite uncomfortable as many words in both Spanish and Portuguese are quite alike, but then again, they are not the same, making prediction annoying.

However when I disable Portuguese and keep it Spanish/English, the difference and detection work great, so another option that would work would be grouping them up, allowing to have specific languages per keyboard, to fuse them all or to have each one in their own separate instance, another thing that would work would be a pop-up menu at the moment when the space bar is held, allowing you to choose between the enabled languages the same way you can choose the accents in languages with more than one accent option per letter.

• Osama SalahOsama Salah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make automatic language detection optional.
        I prefer to switch manually between german and english, the automatic detection doesn't work very well so just give me the option to switch manually. Sometimes the simplest solutions are best.

• kipokipo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the propositions made concerning manual switching between the languages directly on the keyboard and enabling only one if necessary. Wouldn't it be possible to replace the function "switch keyboard by holding the space bar" by a pop-up window which shows you which of your downloaded languages are activated and giving the possibility to switch between them or enable/disable certain ones? I'm speaking six languages and it's really a pain in the *** to enter every time via configuration -> languages -> choice -> going back in order to continue with an other language / other languages....

• Benjamin HopferBenjamin Hopfer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must. SWYPE gets this one right. I'm thinking of switching since a long time, but swift has better prediction (with one language at least)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base